TEM mode propagation between 2 infinite conductor plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve a problem from Jackson's book involving the propagation of a TEM mode through a transmission line with two parallel conductor plates separated by a distance a and a dielectric between them. The individual is unsure of how to start the problem and considers solving the wave equation with boundary conditions. They also mention that the document they are referencing confirms that the fields satisfy electrostatics Maxwell equations. However, they are confused about the presence of current in the plates and question which solution is correct.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve a problem from Jackson's book (in chapter 8). I must describe the propagation of a TEM mode through a transmission line that consists of two infinite conductor plates that are parallel to each other and separated by a distance a. There's a dielectric between the 2 plates.

At first I did not know how to start the problem. Maybe solve the wave equation with boundary conditions that ##\vec E## must be perpendicular to the conductor surfaces and ##\vec B## must be parallel to it and both fields should have no component in the z direction, the direction of propagation. On the top of this, since it's a TEM, Jackson's demonstrate that in a hollow cylinder the fact that ##E_z## and ##B_z## vanish implies that these fields satisfy electrostatics Maxwell equations and I believe it is also the case for the exercise I'm dealing with. This is also confirmed by page 14 of http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~donohoe/ece4333notes3.pdf for the particular set up I'm facing in this problem.

Homework Equations

Not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

Following the document linked above I reach that ##\vec E=-\frac{V}{d}e^{-ikz}\hat y## and ##\vec H=\sqrt{\frac{\varepsilon}{\mu}}\frac{V}{a}e^{-ikz}\hat x##.
So I see no propagation, no time dependence... However in the document I linked above one read
The current directions in the two plates correspond to the direction of propagation assumed for the waves.
which confuses me even more. How come there is a current in the plates? They seemed to act like a capacitor to me and as far as I know there is no current in the plates... What I am missing?

I've also found another solution to the problem but it did not convince me since the guy assumes time dependence of the fields and for some unknown reason to me, he assumes from the start that the current in the plates if of the form ##\vec K=(z,t)=K_0\mu e^{i(kz-\omega t)}\hat x##. See http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pran/jackson/P506/P506W02HW02.pdf.

So which answer is correct? Thank you.

Still stuck at the very same point in this problem. I don't know which solution is correct and whether there is some time dependence on the fields.

Related to TEM mode propagation between 2 infinite conductor plates

What is TEM mode propagation?

TEM (Transverse Electromagnetic) mode propagation refers to the transmission of electromagnetic waves between two infinite conductor plates. In this mode, the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation, resulting in a transverse wave.

What is the significance of infinite conductor plates in TEM mode propagation?

Infinite conductor plates are used in TEM mode propagation to eliminate any reflections from the edges of the plates and ensure that the wave travels in a straight line. This allows for a more accurate and controlled propagation of the electromagnetic wave.

How does the distance between the plates affect TEM mode propagation?

The distance between the plates affects the propagation of TEM mode by determining the wavelength and frequency of the electromagnetic wave. A shorter distance between the plates results in a higher frequency and shorter wavelength, while a larger distance results in a lower frequency and longer wavelength.

What are the applications of TEM mode propagation between two infinite conductor plates?

TEM mode propagation is commonly used in microwave technology, such as in microwave ovens and radar systems. It is also used in high-frequency transmission lines, such as coaxial cables, and in the design of antennas and waveguides.

What are the limitations of TEM mode propagation between two infinite conductor plates?

One major limitation is that it can only be used for propagation between parallel plates, which limits its application in certain situations. Additionally, the infinite conductor plates must have perfect conductivity, which is not always achievable in real-world scenarios.