Temperature and mass flow rate of ICE exhaust gas

In summary, Çengel's Engineering Thermodynamics could help you find the mass flow rates and temperatures of exhaust gases of light gasoline internal combustion engine for analysis and studying the effect of waste heat recovery.
y2j
Hi everyone
I searched about the mass flow rates and temperatures of exhaust gases of light gasoline internal combustion engine at different condition but I don't fond anything yet .
Anyone can guide me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most engineering thermodynamics textbooks include chapters on internal combustion engines, you can get an idea on the values you need by looking at the examples provided in the books.

Check out Çengel's Engineering Thermodynamics.

Likes billy_joule and y2j
I need to actual values of mass flow rates and temperatures of exhaust gases of light gasoline internal combustion engine for analysis and studying effect of waste heat recovery

y2j said:
I need to actual values of mass flow rates and temperatures of exhaust gases of light gasoline internal combustion engine for analysis and studying effect of waste heat recovery

Modern road car engines can manage around 30% thermal efficiency, meaning that 70% of the heat energy generated by the engine is lost to the atmosphere. This heat energy is dissipated through the exhaust AND cooling system. While i can't give you figures on mass flow rates, exhaust gas is approximately 2/3 less dense than the intake. Exhaust temps can reach above 800C during peak operation, but can range from 250-500C during normal operation.

As a side note, the latest F1 engines(1.6L Turbo) manage a thermal efficiency of 45-50%

Hope this info helps
J Mc

Likes y2j
J Mc said:
Modern road car engines can manage around 30% thermal efficiency, meaning that 70% of the heat energy generated by the engine is lost to the atmosphere. This heat energy is dissipated through the exhaust AND cooling system. While i can't give you figures on mass flow rates, exhaust gas is approximately 2/3 less dense than the intake. Exhaust temps can reach above 800C during peak operation, but can range from 250-500C during normal operation.

As a side note, the latest F1 engines(1.6L Turbo) manage a thermal efficiency of 45-50%

Hope this info helps
J Mc
Thank you so much

Generally, the rule of thumb is a third of the heat is dissipated at the radiator and a third goes out the tailpipe.

How good are you at chemistry? It isn't all that hard to use the equation of combustion to calculate the mass flow rate.

that required the temperature of gases also and mole fraction of component

Wouldn't the mass flow rate going out be the same as the mass air flow rate going in plus the weight of the fuel? If you know the volumetric efficiency (VE) of the engine at a given RPM and the air/fuel ratio you should be able to get the mass flow rate from that. I think most stock engines operate in the 70-85% VE, while highly tuned engines (F1, Nascar, etc) can get significantly over 100% where the engine makes peak torque. And that's without a turbocharger.. Turbocharged engines (especially race diesels) can reach over 1000% VE.. Compounded turbos can provide boost pressures of 200PSI.

Likes russ_watters
Right, it doesn't depend on temperature: what goes in must come out. If you know the fuel flow rate and the chemistry (or there is some back-way of doing a fuel/air mixture), that's all you need.

I think the trickiest thing is to get the specific heat of the exhaust gas.. at high temperatures and pressures it may be significantly different from STP, and that is going to be a key part of the equation of how much heat you can extract.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and mass flow rate of ICE exhaust gas?

The temperature and mass flow rate of ICE exhaust gas are directly related. As the temperature of the gas increases, the mass flow rate also increases. This is because as the gas heats up, its molecules move faster and spread apart, resulting in a larger volume of gas being expelled per unit time.

2. How does the temperature of the engine affect the exhaust gas temperature and mass flow rate?

The temperature of the engine plays a significant role in determining the temperature and mass flow rate of the exhaust gas. A higher engine temperature will result in a higher exhaust gas temperature and mass flow rate, while a lower engine temperature will result in lower exhaust gas temperature and mass flow rate.

3. How does the air-to-fuel ratio impact the temperature and mass flow rate of ICE exhaust gas?

The air-to-fuel ratio is an important factor in determining the temperature and mass flow rate of ICE exhaust gas. A higher air-to-fuel ratio will result in a higher exhaust gas temperature and mass flow rate, while a lower air-to-fuel ratio will result in lower exhaust gas temperature and mass flow rate.

4. What is the ideal temperature and mass flow rate for efficient combustion in an ICE?

The ideal temperature and mass flow rate for efficient combustion in an ICE depend on various factors such as the type of fuel, engine design, and operating conditions. However, generally, a higher temperature and mass flow rate can lead to more complete combustion and higher engine efficiency.

5. How can the temperature and mass flow rate of ICE exhaust gas be measured?

The temperature and mass flow rate of ICE exhaust gas can be measured using various instruments such as thermocouples, pyrometers, and flow meters. These instruments can be installed at different points in the exhaust system to provide accurate measurements of the temperature and mass flow rate of the exhaust gas.