Temperature due to radiation in lower Thermosphere

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with finding the temperature that their proposed pico-satellite will be exposed to in the lower thermosphere. They mention difficulties in finding information on the actual temperatures due to radiation in this area and suggest using the Stefan-Boltzmann law to calculate the incoming heat. They also mention the importance of considering the absorption and reflection properties of the satellite in order to determine how much it will heat up when exposed to solar radiation.
bradyle
Hi I'm only new to the forum but was wondering if any of you could help me with a problem I'm having.

I'm currently designing a pico-satellite that will orbit in the lower thermosphere between 320Km and 90Km and am trying to run simulations on my designs.
I've run into a brick wall when trying to find the temperature the satellite will be exposed too. I know due to the near vacuum like qualities of the thermosphere the satellite will only be heated with radiation by the sun and by the Earth to a lesser degree. But I can't find any information on the actual temperatures due to radiation in this area. If anyone could give me any help on this it would be greatly appreciated

Lorraine

Physics news on Phys.org
Well this is not as easy as you want, but as a rule of thumb, you may check the Stefan–Boltzmann law.

Exactly, with the S-B law you can calculate for your sat the incoming heat, which is approximately 1350 W/m^2 in space, at the location of earth. You then need to know the absorption and reflection properties of your sat. You can use this to calculate how much your sat heats up in the period that it is exposed to solar radiation. This is the reason that these big sats have gold foil all over them - to reflect the solar heat back into space.

Related to Temperature due to radiation in lower Thermosphere

1. What is the lower thermosphere?

The lower thermosphere is the layer of Earth's atmosphere that begins at an altitude of about 80 km and extends up to approximately 550 km. It is located above the mesosphere and below the upper thermosphere.

2. How does radiation affect the temperature in the lower thermosphere?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. In the lower thermosphere, the air molecules are very sparsely packed, so there are fewer collisions between them. This means that radiation is the primary method of heat transfer in this layer of the atmosphere. As a result, the temperature in the lower thermosphere is largely determined by the amount of radiation it receives from the sun.

3. Why is the temperature in the lower thermosphere so high?

The temperature in the lower thermosphere can reach up to 1500°C, which is very hot compared to the surface of the Earth. This is because the molecules in the lower thermosphere absorb a lot of solar radiation, which causes them to vibrate and heat up. Additionally, there is very little air in this layer of the atmosphere, so there is no air to distribute the heat and cool down the temperature.

4. How does the temperature in the lower thermosphere change throughout the day?

The temperature in the lower thermosphere experiences large variations throughout the day. During the day, when the sun is directly overhead, the temperature can reach its highest point due to the intense solar radiation. At night, however, the temperature drops significantly as there is no longer any solar radiation to heat up the air molecules.

5. What impact does the temperature in the lower thermosphere have on Earth?

The temperature in the lower thermosphere has a significant impact on Earth's climate and weather patterns. It affects the movement of air and can contribute to the formation of winds and storms. It also plays a role in the ionization of the atmosphere, which can impact communication and navigation systems. Additionally, the temperature in the lower thermosphere can affect the orbits of satellites and other objects in space.