Temperature fluctuations in helium

In summary, the conversation was about an upcoming experiment on second sound in superfluid helium. The lab manual stated that the sound would be generated by putting a heater into the fluid and passing an AC current through it. The goal was to measure the 'normal fluid fraction' which is the non-superfluid part. It was mentioned that this sound would propagate away at twice the frequency of the current. The person was trying to find equations to describe this behavior but was having trouble. The article mentioned that V(t)*I(t) is the instantaneous power and when V and I are in-phase, V*I is double the fundamental frequency. The person also mentioned that the experiment sounds like fun and is looking forward to using liquid nitrogen, although the safety
Kara386
I'm about to do an experiment on second sound in superfluid helium. Reading the lab manual it says we will generate it by putting a heater into the fluid and then passed an AC current through it. What we are going to measure is apparently the 'normal fluid fraction', which I guess under the two fluids model is the non-superfluid part. Weird thing: there's a casual mention that it should propagate away at twice the frequency of our current! Why would that happen?? I was trying to find some equations that would describe this behaviour but I can't, or at least those on the internet are way beyond me.

Thanks for any help! :)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
See the PF Insights article, AC Power Analysis: Part 1, Basics

From the article, V(t)*I(t) is the instantaneous power. When V and I are in-phase, V*I is double the fundamental frequency.

in-phase.jpg

Your experiment sounds like fun.

Likes Kara386
anorlunda said:
See the PF Insights article, AC Power Analysis: Part 1, Basics

From the article, V(t)*I(t) is the instantaneous power. When V and I are in-phase, V*I is double the fundamental frequency.

in-phase.jpg

Your experiment sounds like fun.
I see, thank you! Yeah, it'll be a good experiment I think. In particular looking forward to using lots of liquid nitrogen, the safety briefing was just packed with interesting ways to go wrong!

1. What causes temperature fluctuations in helium?

Temperature fluctuations in helium are caused by changes in the internal energy of the gas. This can be due to a variety of factors, such as changes in pressure, volume, or external heat sources.

2. How do temperature fluctuations affect the properties of helium?

Temperature fluctuations can affect the density, viscosity, and thermal conductivity of helium. They can also impact its phase transition, as the gas can turn into a liquid at very low temperatures.

3. Can temperature fluctuations in helium impact experiments or measurements?

Yes, temperature fluctuations can have a significant impact on experiments or measurements involving helium. It is important to control and monitor these fluctuations in order to obtain accurate results.

4. What techniques can be used to control temperature fluctuations in helium?

There are several techniques that can be used to control temperature fluctuations in helium, such as insulation, heat exchangers, and temperature controllers. These methods help maintain a stable temperature and prevent rapid fluctuations.

5. Are there any applications for temperature fluctuations in helium?

Yes, temperature fluctuations in helium have various applications in fields such as cryogenics, superconductivity, and gas storage. They can also be used in cooling systems for electronics and medical equipment.