Temperature of Bose Einstein Condensation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the temperature at which Bose-Einstein Condensation (BEC) occurs for Rb-87. It is noted that the equation for BEC depends on the density of the gas and that experiments are carried out in harmonic traps, which leads to a different equation. It is also mentioned that after isothermal compression, there will be no change in temperature, so the final temperature at the onset of BEC will be 100K.
tanaygupta2000
Homework Statement
An ideal gas of Rb-87 particles at 100K is compressed isothermally. Find out the number density of the gas at which Bose Einstein Condensation starts.
Relevant Equations
n = 2.612 [2πmk(Tc)/h^2]^(3/2)
n(Excited) = 2.612 [2πmkT/h^2]^(3/2)

where n = N/v
Tc = Critical temperature
For finding n, I believe that directly applying the above formula gives the results. But I am confused whether I have to put the value of given temperature T = 100K or the actual temperature Tc for Rb-87 at which BE Condensation occurs (i.e. 100 nK, which I got from a quick Google search)? Or do I need to employ a third method of calculating Tc from the available data? Please help !

Physics news on Phys.org
tanaygupta2000 said:
For finding n, I believe that directly applying the above formula gives the results. But I am confused whether I have to put the value of given temperature T = 100K or the actual temperature Tc for Rb-87 at which BE Condensation occurs (i.e. 100 nK, which I got from a quick Google search)?
There is no "actual temperature" for BEC. As the equation tells you, ##T_c## is actually a function of ##n = N/V##, it depends on the density of the gas. (Note also that the equation you cite is derived for a particle-in-a-box. Actual experiments are carried out in harmonic traps, which leads to a different equation for ##T_c##, so even if you take the experimental value of the density ##n##, tou will not get the same ##T_c##.)

If your initial temperature is 100 K and you compress isothermally, what will be the temperature at the onset of BEC?

• Informative
Likes etotheipi and tanaygupta2000
DrClaude said:
There is no "actual temperature" for BEC. As the equation tells you, ##T_c## is actually a function of ##n = N/V##, it depends on the density of the gas. (Note also that the equation you cite is derived for a particle-in-a-box. Actual experiments are carried out in harmonic traps, which leads to a different equation for ##T_c##, so even if you take the experimental value of the density ##n##, tou will not get the same ##T_c##.)

If your initial temperature is 100 K and you compress isothermally, what will be the temperature at the onset of BEC?
Sir after Isothermal Compression, there will be no change in temperature. Therefore the final temperature at the onset of BEC will be the same, i.e., 100K.

tanaygupta2000 said:
Sir after Isothermal Compression, there will be no change in temperature. Therefore the final temperature at the onset of BEC will be the same, i.e., 100K.
Exactly. So you only need to calculate the corresponding density for BES at that temperature.

What is Bose Einstein Condensation?

Bose-Einstein condensation is a phenomenon that occurs when a group of bosons (particles with integer spin) are cooled to a very low temperature, causing them to lose their individual identities and merge into a single quantum state.

What is the temperature of Bose Einstein Condensation?

The temperature at which Bose-Einstein condensation occurs is called the critical temperature, and it varies depending on the type of particles involved. For example, for rubidium atoms, the critical temperature is around 170 nanokelvins, while for helium atoms, it is around 2.17 kelvins.

How is the temperature of Bose Einstein Condensation measured?

The temperature of Bose-Einstein condensation is typically measured using a thermometer called a thermocouple. This device measures the temperature by detecting the electrical potential difference between two different metals when they are heated or cooled.

What are the applications of Bose Einstein Condensation?

Bose-Einstein condensation has many potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, superfluidity, and precision measurement. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of matter at extremely low temperatures.

Can Bose Einstein Condensation occur at room temperature?

No, Bose-Einstein condensation can only occur at extremely low temperatures, typically close to absolute zero (-273.15 degrees Celsius). This is because at higher temperatures, the particles have too much energy and cannot be confined to a single quantum state.