Tension in cable D is equivalent to the tension in cable B?

• Thread starter yashboi123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
yashboi123
Homework Statement
In a repair shop a truck engine that has mass 429 kg
is held in place by four light cables (Figure 1). Cable A is horizontal, cables B
and D are vertical, and cable C makes an angle of 37.1∘
with a vertical wall. Tension in cable A is 757 N.
Relevant Equations
T - mg = ma
1695597452948.png

I found the tension of cable B by doing mg + Csin(37.1). I found C by doing 757(Tension in cable A) = Ccos(37.1).
I was just wondering if the tension in cable D is equivalent to the tension in cable B. If possible please show the steps on how you determined if they are equivalent or not.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
yashboi123 said:
Homework Statement: In a repair shop a truck engine that has mass 429 kg
is held in place by four light cables (Figure 1). Cable A is horizontal, cables B
and D are vertical, and cable C makes an angle of 37.1∘
with a vertical wall. Tension in cable A is 757 N.
Relevant Equations: T - mg = ma

View attachment 332527

I found the tension of cable B by doing mg + Csin(37.1). I found C by doing 757(Tension in cable A) = Ccos(37.1).
I was just wondering if the tension in cable D is equivalent to the tension in cable B. If possible please show the steps on how you determined if they are equivalent or not.
Thank you!
That sounds like part "C". per forum rules you must show us, if you get stuck after a reasonable attempt we help.

erobz said:
That sounds like part "C". per forum rules you must show us, if you get stuck after a reasonable attempt we help.
No it's not a part C, I'm just curious lol promise. Here is the full page
1695598230962.png

Well, if you want to find the tension in the rope ##D## do a free body diagram of the engine.

It would be tension upward(or normal force since they are equivalent in this situation) and mg downward. I suppose then they wouldn't be equivalent since in this situation we only take into account mg, not the vertical tension in cable C since cable D is below that point.

yashboi123 said:
It would be tension upward(or normal force since they are equivalent in this situation) and mg downward. I suppose then they wouldn't be equivalent since in this situation we only take into account mg, not the vertical tension in cable C since cable D is below that point.
Is my thought process correct here?

yashboi123 said:
Is my thought process correct here?
Yeah, there are two forces acting on the engine block on opposite directions, and the engine is not accelerating. We know one of them is it weight the other is the tension in rope ##D##, hence;

$$T_D - mg = 0 $$

erobz said:
Yeah, there are two forces acting on the engine block on opposite directions, and the engine is not accelerating. We know one of them is it weight the other is the tension in rope ##D##, hence;

$$T_D - mg = 0 $$
Thanks mate, that was a dumb mistake from me it's pretty clear since D is below C the vertical component of Tc wouldn't be considered.

yashboi123 said:
Thanks mate, that was a dumb mistake from me it's pretty clear since D is below C the vertical component of Tc wouldn't be considered.
You're Welcome.

Last edited:

1. How is tension in cable D related to tension in cable B?

The tension in cable D is equivalent to the tension in cable B because both cables are connected to the same object and are experiencing the same force. This is known as the principle of transmissibility, which states that a force acting at a single point can be transmitted to any other point in the same direction without changing its magnitude or direction.

2. Why is it important to have equivalent tension in cables D and B?

Having equivalent tension in cables D and B is important because it ensures that the object they are connected to remains in equilibrium. If there is a difference in tension between the two cables, the object may experience a net force and move in a certain direction, which can be dangerous in certain situations.

3. How can you determine the tension in cable D if the tension in cable B is known?

Since tension in cable D is equivalent to tension in cable B, you can use the same value for both tensions. This means that if the tension in cable B is known, the tension in cable D is also known and can be calculated using the same value.

4. What factors can affect the tension in cables D and B?

The tension in cables D and B can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object they are connected to, the angle at which they are attached to the object, and any external forces acting on the object. Changes in any of these factors can cause a difference in the tension between the two cables.

5. Can the tension in cable D be greater than the tension in cable B?

No, the tension in cable D cannot be greater than the tension in cable B if they are equivalent. If there is a difference in tension between the two cables, they are no longer equivalent and the object may experience a net force and move in a certain direction. This is why it is important to maintain equivalent tension in both cables for the object to remain in equilibrium.