Tensor Calculus (Einstein notation)

In summary: So, in summary, Einstein notation is meant to be done for the same term, here you have two terms. There is no implicit summation in ##\partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##. To sum over indices, you must explicitly use the summation symbol and the universal quantifier. The sum over indices can then be written as:$$\sum_{\mu = 0}^{3} \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$
paperplane
TL;DR Summary
How to sum over indices when they aren't being contracted?
Hello,

I realize this might sound dumb, but I'm having such a hard time understanding Einstein notation. For something like ∂uFv - ∂vFu, why is this not necessarily 0 for tensor Fu? Since all these indices are running through the same values 0,1,2,3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein notation for summation is meant to be done for the same term, here you have two terms. There is no implicit summation in ##\partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##.

Let's call it ##G_{\mu \nu}## i.e. ##G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##. We have
## G_{00} = \partial_0 F_0 - \partial_0 F_0 = 0##
## G_{10} = \partial_1 F_0 - \partial_0 F_1 = - G_{01}##
## G_{11} = \partial_1 F_1 - \partial_1 F_1 = 0 = G_{22} = G_{33}##
## G_{23} = \partial_2 F_3 - \partial_3 F_2 = - G_{32}##
and so on.

Now, lets assume I contract ##G_{\mu \nu}## with ##\phi^\mu##, we have due to Einstein summation convention
##\phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu} = \phi^0G_{0 \nu} + \phi^1G_{1\nu} + \phi^2G_{2 \nu} + \phi^3G_{3 \nu}##

Let's define ##\psi_\nu = \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}##.
We have
##\psi_0 = \phi^\mu G_{\mu 0} = \phi^0G_{0 0} + \phi^1G_{10} + \phi^2G_{20} + \phi^3G_{30} =\phi^1G_{10} + \phi^2G_{20} + \phi^3G_{30} ##
##\psi_1 = \phi^\mu G_{\mu 1} = \phi^0G_{0 1} + \phi^1G_{11} + \phi^2G_{21} + \phi^3G_{31} =\phi^0G_{0 1} + \phi^2G_{21} + \phi^3G_{31}##
and so on

Likes nasu, topsquark and PeroK
Ah I understand now, thank you!

paperplane said:
Ah I understand now, thank you!
I updated my reply above with some more examples.

Likes topsquark and paperplane
paperplane said:
TL;DR Summary: How to sum over indices when they aren't being contracted?

Hello,

I realize this might sound dumb, but I'm having such a hard time understanding Einstein notation. For something like ∂uFv - ∂vFu, why is this not necessarily 0 for tensor Fu? Since all these indices are running through the same values 0,1,2,3?
Einstein notation omits two standard elements of mathematical notation: the summation symbol (##\sum##) and the universal quantifier (##\forall##). In the above examples we have:
$$G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu$$In full notation this would be:
$$\forall \mu, \nu: G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu$$Note that this is actually ##16## equations! (One for every combination of ##\mu = 0, 1,2,3## and ##\nu = 0, 1,2,3##.) And:
$$\psi_\nu = \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$In full notation this would be:
$$\forall \nu: \psi_\nu = \sum_{\mu = 0}^{3} \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$And that is four equations.

Likes malawi_glenn and Ibix

1. What is Tensor Calculus?

Tensor Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between different sets of data. It is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science, to model and analyze complex systems.

2. What is Einstein notation in Tensor Calculus?

Einstein notation, also known as index notation, is a shorthand method for writing and manipulating tensors in Tensor Calculus. It uses indices to represent the different components of a tensor, making it easier to perform calculations and transformations.

3. How is Tensor Calculus related to general relativity?

Tensor Calculus plays a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of general relativity, which is the theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. In this theory, tensors are used to describe the curvature of spacetime and the gravitational interactions between objects.

4. What are some applications of Tensor Calculus?

Tensor Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields. In physics, it is used to model and analyze physical systems, such as electromagnetism and fluid mechanics. In engineering, it is used in the design and analysis of structures and materials. It is also used in computer science for tasks such as image processing and machine learning.

5. Is Tensor Calculus difficult to learn?

Tensor Calculus can be challenging to learn, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and notation. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and calculus before diving into Tensor Calculus.