Tensor Covariant Derivative Expressions Algebra (Fermi- Walk

In summary, there is a conversation about understanding a solution for a problem involving covariant derivatives and symmetrization of indices. The conversation also includes an example involving the derivative of a function squared. The final conclusion is that the expression in #3 is incorrect due to a missing index, and the correct expression should be 2∇vUu=∇vUuUu2∇vUu=∇vUuUu2\nabla_v U^u = \nabla_v U^u U_u.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Hi
I am looking at part a).

fermiwalker.png

Homework Equations

below

The Attempt at a Solution

I can follow the solution once I agree that ## A^u U_u =0 ##. However I don't understand this.

So in terms of the notation ( ) brackets denote the symmetrized summation and the [ ] the antisymmetrized, both come with a factor of 1/2, for a 2 indices tensors.
So I agree with the second equality if I were to ignore the parentheses, and I agree that the covariant derivative acting on 1 is of course zero for the last equality.

But I thought ##A^u## is such that the covariant derivative acts on the ##U^v## in that expression and that is it, once you multiply it by another vector eg ##A^u V^v ## the covariant derivative does not act on ##V^v ##, it does not act on everything to the right side? So I don't understand how we've changeed the parentheses as in the second equality (solution here: )

fermiwalkersol.png

Thanks

Attachments

• fermiwalker.png
    fermiwalker.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 793
  • fermiwalkersol.png
    fermiwalkersol.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 314
Physics news on Phys.org
What is
$$
\frac{d(f(x)^2)}{dx}?
$$

Orodruin said:
What is
$$
\frac{d(f(x)^2)}{dx}?
$$

## 2 f(x) d(f(x)) / dx ##

So ... what is ##\nabla_\nu (U_\mu U^\mu)##?

Likes Matter_Matters
Orodruin said:
So ... what is ##\nabla_\nu (U_\mu U^\mu)##?

Sorrry are the brackets here indicating the symmetrized sum or simply what the covariant deriviatve is acting upon?

Well I conclude that we have ##2\nabla_v U^u = \nabla_v U^u U_u ## (if the parantheses are indicating what the covariant derivative is acting on only), however this looks like nonsense since the indices are not consistent each side...

binbagsss said:
Sorrry are the brackets here indicating the symmetrized sum or simply what the covariant deriviatve is acting upon?
Full brackets never indicate symmetrisation. Also, the expression has no indices of the same typy (covariant/contravariant) that can be symmetrised.

binbagsss said:
Well I conclude that we have 2∇vUu=∇vUuUu2∇vUu=∇vUuUu2\nabla_v U^u = \nabla_v U^u U_u (if the parantheses are indicating what the covariant derivative is acting on only), however this looks like nonsense since the indices are not consistent each side...
You are missing one of the Us and your indices do not match because of it.

Orodruin said:
Full brackets never indicate symmetrisation. Also, the expression has no indices of the same typy (covariant/contravariant) that can be symmetrised.You are missing one of the Us and your indices do not match because of it.

I'm fully aware that is why my indices do not match but was trying to follow the f(x)^2 logic example, and here ofc ##U^u U_u ## denotes the ' ^ 2 ' so I'm a bit confused. ta.

binbagsss said:
I'm fully aware that is why my indices do not match but was trying to follow the f(x)^2 logic example, and here ofc ##U^u U_u ## denotes the ' ^ 2 ' so I'm a bit confused. ta.
Look at your expression in #3 again and compare it with what you did.

1. What is a tensor covariant derivative?

A tensor covariant derivative is a mathematical expression used to describe the rate of change of a tensor field with respect to a particular coordinate system. It takes into account how the components of the tensor change as the coordinates change.

2. What is the difference between a tensor covariant derivative and a regular derivative?

A regular derivative is used to describe the rate of change of a scalar function with respect to a single variable. A tensor covariant derivative, on the other hand, takes into account the change of a tensor field with respect to multiple variables and coordinates.

3. How is the Fermi-Walk method used in tensor covariant derivative expressions?

The Fermi-Walk method is a technique used to calculate the covariant derivative of a tensor field by considering the change in the tensor’s components as it is transported along a specific path in space. This method is particularly useful for calculating derivatives in curved spaces.

4. Can tensor covariant derivative expressions be applied to any tensor field?

Yes, tensor covariant derivatives can be applied to any tensor field, regardless of its rank or the dimensionality of the space it is defined on. However, the specific form of the expression may vary depending on the properties of the tensor field and the coordinate system being used.

5. What are some common applications of tensor covariant derivative expressions?

Tensor covariant derivative expressions are commonly used in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering to describe the behavior of physical systems in curved spaces. They are particularly useful in the study of general relativity, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism.