Tensor help -- Write out this tensor in a simplified sum

In summary, a tensor is a mathematical object used to represent physical quantities and their transformations. Simplifying a tensor can make calculations and analyses easier and reveal important relationships within the tensor. This can be done using mathematical operations and techniques such as contraction and matrix multiplication. Writing out a simplified sum of a tensor allows for a more efficient representation and highlights important components and their relationships. There are multiple ways to simplify a tensor, depending on its properties and purposes.
user1139
Homework Statement
Write out $$F_{\alpha\beta}F^{\alpha\gamma}$$ in a simplified sum where $$F$$ is the stress tensor and Einstein summation convention is implied.
Relevant Equations
$$F_{\mu\nu}$$ is the usual stress tensor
I managed to write

$$F_{\alpha\beta}F^{\alpha\gamma}=F_{0\beta}F^{0\gamma}+F_{i\beta}F^{i\gamma}$$

where $$i=1,2,3$$ and $$\gamma=0,1,2,3=\beta$$.

How do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's like two "for" loops in programming:

0) You have four terms when summing ##\alpha##

1) Start with ##\gamma## and expand to four equations for 0,1,2, and 3 with ##\beta## still there.

Repeating with the same expansion with ##\beta##, you should now have 16 equations for ##F _{\beta}^{\gamma}##.

Last edited:

Related to Tensor help -- Write out this tensor in a simplified sum

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents a physical quantity, such as force or velocity, in multiple dimensions. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the relationships between different physical quantities.

2. How do you write a tensor in a simplified sum?

To write a tensor in a simplified sum, you need to break it down into its component parts and express it as a sum of these parts. This involves identifying the indices and coefficients of the tensor and rearranging them in a simplified form.

3. What are the benefits of writing a tensor in a simplified sum?

Writing a tensor in a simplified sum can make it easier to understand and manipulate in mathematical calculations. It also allows for easier comparison and analysis of different tensors.

4. Can you give an example of writing a tensor in a simplified sum?

Yes, for example, a tensor T with indices i, j, and k can be written as Tijk = a1 + a2 + a3, where a1, a2, and a3 are the coefficients of the tensor.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for writing a tensor in a simplified sum?

Yes, there are certain rules and guidelines for writing a tensor in a simplified sum, such as ensuring that the indices and coefficients are correctly identified and that the sum is expressed in the most simplified form possible.