Terminal velocity of a raindrop

In summary: So missed term is zero. sorry for that.In summary, a raindrop of initial mass ##M_0## falls under the influence of gravity and gains mass from the cloud at a rate proportional to its instantaneous mass and velocity. By setting the condition that ##\dfrac{dv}{dt} = 0##, we find that the velocity of the raindrop will eventually become constant when the forces of gravity and mass gain are balanced. The equation for this condition is ##g-kv^2 = \dfrac{dv}{dt}##. However, this equation does not account for the momentum brought by the particles of fluid in the cloud, which can affect the velocity of the raindrop.
Buffu

Homework Statement

A raindrop of initial Mass ##M_0## starts to fall from rest under the influence of gravity. Assume that the drop gains mass from the cloud at a rate proportional to the product of its instantaneous mass and its instantaneous velocity ##\dfrac{dM}{dt} = kMV##, where ##k## is constant. show that speed eventually become constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##P_i = M_0v##

##P_f = \left( M_0 + \left(\Delta t \dfrac{dM}{dt}\right) \right)(v + \Delta v)##

therefore ##\Delta P = M_0 \Delta v + v \Delta t\dfrac{dM}{dt}##

Since ##F = \lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \dfrac{\Delta P}{\Delta t}##

Therefore ##F = M_0 \dfrac{dv}{dt} + v \dfrac{dM}{dt}##

Substituting ##\dfrac{dM}{dt} = kMV##,

##F = M_0 \dfrac{dv}{dt} + k M v^2##

The velocity will be constant if the forces are balanced,

therefore, ##Mg = M_0 \dfrac{dv}{dt} + k M v^2##

Now I don't know what to do ? should I solve for ##v## in this differential equation and then find the time at which it would be constant (I tired but it was very messy with lots of constants, I got ##v = \displaystyle u\dfrac{1- \exp(2ku\alpha t)}{\exp(2ku\alpha t) - 2} ## where ##u = \sqrt{h/k}## and ##\alpha = M/M_0##) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually:
$$F = \frac{d(Mv)}{dt} = M \dfrac{dv}{dt} + v \dfrac{dM}{dt}$$
Then you just need to find the condition that will set ##\dfrac{dv}{dt} = 0##.

jack action said:
Actually:
$$F = \frac{d(Mv)}{dt} = M \dfrac{dv}{dt} + v \dfrac{dM}{dt}$$
Then you just need to find the condition that will set ##\dfrac{dv}{dt} = 0##.

But I got ##M_0## instead of ##M##.

I know, but it should be the instantaneous mass, not the initial mass:

##P_i = Mv##
##P_f = \left( M + \left(\Delta t \dfrac{dM}{dt}\right) \right)(v + \Delta v)##

With the initial mass ##M_0##, it is only valid for the initial instant as with ##M## it is valid at any moment.

jack action said:
I know, but it should be the instantaneous mass, not the initial mass:

##P_i = Mv##
##P_f = \left( M + \left(\Delta t \dfrac{dM}{dt}\right) \right)(v + \Delta v)##

With the initial mass ##M_0##, it is only valid for the initial instant as with ##M## it is valid at any moment.

Then we get,

##Mg = M \dfrac{dv}{dt} + k M v^2##

##g - kv^2 = \dfrac{dv}{dt}##. Therefore at ##g = kv^2##, velocity is constant. Is this fine ?

That would be my answer. When ##v= \sqrt{\frac{g}{k}}##, you will have no more acceleration, so it will stay at this speed constantly.

and shouldn't the buoyancy and drag forces on the drop be considered ?

-

Last edited:
zwierz said:
It seems to be wrong. This equation does not take in respect that the particles of the fluid in the cloud have nonzero velocity relative to the raindrop and thus those particles bring momentum as they meet the raindrop. For details seehttp://www3.nd.edu/~powers/ame.20231/ajp.1962.pdf
see also http://www.lcurve.org/writings/PT-NewtonsLawsForVariableMass.pdf

But in the question no value of relative velocity is given :).

Nidum said:
and shouldn't the buoyancy and drag forces on the drop be considered ?

:nb):nb)

zwierz said:
This equation does not take in respect that the particles of the fluid in the cloud have nonzero velocity relative to the raindrop
I agree that the equation F=dp/dt=d(mv)/dt=mdv/dt+vdm/dt is not kosher. It treats mass as something that can change in a closed system.
However, it does give the right answers when the mass entering or leaving the system does so with no momentum in the frame of reference. In this case, we can assume that the moisture being collected had been stationary relative to the ground.

look here: http://www3.nd.edu/~powers/ame.20231/ajp.1962.pdf
I marked the missed term with the red frame

c3dfb72bc09a.png

Oh! that is my mistake. In this problem u=0

Likes haruspex

1. What is terminal velocity of a raindrop?

Terminal velocity of a raindrop is the maximum speed at which a raindrop will fall through the air. At this speed, the force of gravity pushing the raindrop down is equal to the force of air resistance pushing the raindrop up, resulting in a constant speed.

2. How is terminal velocity of a raindrop calculated?

The terminal velocity of a raindrop is calculated using the formula Vt = √[(2mg)/(ρAC)] where Vt is terminal velocity, m is the mass of the raindrop, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the raindrop, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect the terminal velocity of a raindrop?

The terminal velocity of a raindrop is affected by the mass of the raindrop, the density of the air, the cross-sectional area of the raindrop, and the drag coefficient. Changes in any of these factors will result in a change in the terminal velocity of the raindrop.

4. Why does the terminal velocity of a raindrop remain constant?

The terminal velocity of a raindrop remains constant because of the balance between the force of gravity and the force of air resistance. As the raindrop falls, its speed increases, but so does the force of air resistance. Eventually, these forces will balance out, resulting in a constant terminal velocity.

5. How does the shape of a raindrop affect its terminal velocity?

The shape of a raindrop can affect its terminal velocity. A more streamlined shape, such as a teardrop, will have a lower drag coefficient and therefore a lower terminal velocity. A more irregular shape will have a higher drag coefficient and a higher terminal velocity. Additionally, a larger cross-sectional area will result in a higher terminal velocity, as there is more surface area for air resistance to act upon.