Terminology: weep (of a wound)

In summary, "weeping" is the term used to describe the yellowish secretions that occur from skin lesions, such as from poison ivy contact. This process, also known as exudation, is a normal response to inflammation and results from leakage from capillaries. The fluid can range from clear to slightly yellowish and can vary in consistency depending on protein content. Weeping is a common occurrence and is usually associated with a slow seepage of fluid from the wound.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Terminology: "weep" (of a wound)

Consider a typical open sore or wound -- in this case, from poison ivy contact. What do you call the yellowish secretions? I've heard it as 'weeping', but my Google searches haven't shown this to be particularly common -- and of course it's confused with crying.

The fluid is transparent, yellow in tint, and usually seeps out rather slowly -- enough so that it often crystalizes into small (~1mm) cubes. Sometimes more comes and it forms droplets on the skin.

This is a reasonably common occurrence but for some reason I can't think of a term for either the process or the fluid itself.

Biology news on Phys.org

I always called it weeping too. Not sure but I thought it was lymphatic fluid. Some call it blood serum too.

Last edited:

CRGreathouse said:
This is a reasonably common occurrence but for some reason I can't think of a term for either the process or the fluid itself.

"Weeping" is a perfectly good term for exudates (or exudation) from skin lesions. Exudates are associated with inflammation and result from leakage from capillaries in the affected area. They can be clear to slightly yellowish (serous), slightly reddish (sero-sanguineous) and range from watery to sticky depending on protein content. With bacterial infection, they can turn kitty and foul smelling, but otherwise they are physiologic responses to skin and soft tissue injury.

The element of this description that is key is the rate of "weeping", compared to some slight exudate around a wound, or freely flowing pus. In many ways, it's similar to the formation of the pellicle when you salt fish for smoking, but with a better end for the wound than the fillet of salmon.

As a scientist, the term "weep" in this context refers to the process of a wound exuding fluid, typically transparent and yellowish in color. This fluid is known as wound exudate and can contain various components such as blood, plasma, and immune cells. The term "weeping" may also be used to describe the slow and continuous flow of this fluid from the wound. It is a normal part of the healing process and helps to remove debris and promote tissue repair. However, excessive or prolonged weeping can indicate an infection or other underlying issue and should be monitored by a medical professional.

Related to Terminology: weep (of a wound)

What does it mean when a wound "weeps"?

When a wound "weeps," it refers to the discharge of fluid or pus from the wound. This can be a sign of infection or inflammation in the wound.

Is it normal for a wound to weep?

In some cases, a small amount of clear or slightly cloudy fluid may weep from a wound as it heals. However, if there is excessive or discolored discharge, it may be a sign of infection and should be evaluated by a healthcare professional.

How can I prevent a wound from weeping?

To prevent a wound from weeping, it is important to keep the wound clean and dry, and to follow any wound care instructions provided by a healthcare professional. Keeping the wound covered and changing bandages regularly can also help prevent weeping.

What should I do if a wound continues to weep?

If a wound continues to weep, it may be a sign of infection or other complication. It is important to seek medical attention to properly evaluate and treat the wound.

Can a wound that weeps heal on its own?

In some cases, a wound that weeps may heal on its own with proper wound care. However, if there is excessive or discolored discharge, it may require medical treatment to heal properly.