Tesla magnetic field holding force and horsepower to remove magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an equation to calculate the force required to remove a magnet from a piece of metal, taking into consideration factors such as the angle of the pull and the distance between the magnet and the metal. However, it is mentioned that the equations for this may be difficult to use without a proper understanding of calculus and other advanced math concepts. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to measure the force experimentally rather than trying to calculate it using equations.
Ankhen
Hi. Is it posible to make an equation to solve this:
How many horsepower does it takes to remove a magnet with the force of 1 tesla, from a piece of metal. ?

The surface of the magnet and the surface of metal is the same size.

I gues the angel of witch the magnet is being pulled affects the equation, and also the distance between the magnet and the surface of the metal, if there not touch each other
There must be and equation for this, but I can't solve it. Anyone?
Regards Morten

Physics news on Phys.org
Your units are wrong and that obscures your question. A tesla is a unit of magnetic flux density, not a force. Horsepower is energy per unit time, not a force. Ask again with correct units.

Also remember that all metals are not equal.

Likes Ankhen
Hi anorlunda. Then maybe you could help me out
I know the units are wrong. Thats why I have problems with it.
What I am asking is: How do I calculate the force I am using to pull a magnet down/away from the
refrigerator

I'll ask in another way.
How much force does it takes to remove a magnet with the strength X, from a metal surface.
And again the angel, surface-size, sort of metal and distance between magnet and metal must have influence
Regards Morten

The basic formulas can be found on Wikipedia here. But be warned, the equations are difficult to understand and to use. More important, to use them you need to know important parameters such as the flux density of the magnet and the metallic alloy composition of your refrigerator. Since you probably have no way to know those parameters, you can't apply the formulas.

I suggest that instead of calculating the force for your refrigerator magnet, that you try to measure it experimentally.

Likes Ankhen
Hi again
Im trying to find a equation not just the answer to me examble above
it seems like you know a thing or two about this topic. Is it possible to find you on facebook, so we can write together in real time instead of waithing for answers all the time ?
Regards morten

Ankhen said:
Im trying to find a equation not just the answer to me examble above

The unfortunate fact is that you're unlikely to be able to use the equations even if you find them. Do you know any calculus, specifically integration?

Hi Drakkith.
1)why
2)no

Because when I look up all the different equations involving magnets, I see a lot of stuff that appears to use integration, gradiants, vectors, and other complicated math. If you haven't been formally educated in calculus and further math, I don't see how you can use them.

Likes Ankhen
I see what you mean. I haven't been educated in those things, but when I look it up in wiki or other sites, things like Gauss, Lorenzt and Faradays laws, I understand the math. But I am not that good in english, so I am affaid that i miss somethings in the translation.

If you don't understand integration, differentials, and gradiants, then there's no way you understand the equations.

Here's Gauss's law:
adc2dff3156800a39ef0a9df76a7d868.png

In order to use it, you need to convert it into an integral:

Now, do you know what any of that means? Can you actually use it to solve a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Tesla magnetic field?

A Tesla magnetic field is a unit of measurement for the strength of a magnetic field. It is named after inventor Nikola Tesla and is equal to one newton per ampere-meter.

2. How does a magnetic field hold force?

A magnetic field can hold force through the interaction of magnetic poles. Opposite poles attract each other, while like poles repel each other. This creates a force that can hold objects in place.

3. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect its holding force?

The strength of a magnetic field directly affects its holding force. The stronger the magnetic field, the more force it can exert on an object. This is why higher strength magnets are able to hold heavier objects.

4. What is the relationship between horsepower and the ability to remove a magnet?

Horsepower is a unit of measurement for power, while the ability to remove a magnet is related to the strength of the magnetic field. A higher horsepower does not necessarily mean a stronger magnetic field, but it can indicate the strength of the motor or equipment being used to remove the magnet.

5. Can the holding force of a magnetic field be increased?

Yes, the holding force of a magnetic field can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field or by using materials with higher magnetic permeability. However, there are limits to how much force a magnetic field can hold depending on the strength of the magnet and the weight and properties of the object being held.