What is voltage when running current through copper plats?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a solenoid using bitter disk and iron core, with a desired magnetic field strength of 1 tesla. The bitter disk is made of a copper silver alloy but for simplicity, pure copper is used. The length and cross-sectional area of the bitter disk are calculated, as well as the length and number of turns for the current. Using Ohm's Law, the resistance and voltage are also calculated. The questions posed are whether the overlapping copper plates and insulation between them would increase the resistance and voltage.
Matt01
Hey everyone, I'm hoping that you guys will be able to help me with some calculations. I was on YouTube and came across this:

I then began to wonder if I could make a solenoid using bitter disk as in the video, granted no where near as powerful. I would say 1 tesla using an iron core. After some digging, I found the bitter disk are .27 mm thick or thicker and as the video says made of a copper silver alloy. To simplify let's use pure copper. Since current generates heat, and as heat increases, so do the resistance of the copper, let's say the copper disks are being called by water or some other cooling mechanism to keep them at room temps.

Known:

B=unl
length is 12inches/.3048m
r = 1 inch
bitter disk would need to be big enough for the iron to go through and extend 2 inches out from the inner edge.
turns = 564.4
There would be 564.4 insulators
turn density is n=N/L = 1850 turns/m
I = 0.086 amps
B = 1 tesal
u = relative permeability = Iron (99.8% pure) 6.3 10−3 5000
source: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/permeability-d_1923.html

Ohm's Law : V = IR
V = volts
I = current in amps
R = resistance
R = ρL/A = Resistance of the wire(bitter disk)
P = Resistivity of copper ρ = 1.7 x 10-8 Ωm
L = is the length
A = The area is the cross-sectional area of the wire

Unknown:

My best guess for the cross-sectional area of the bitter disk would be: a = L*w
a = 50.8 mm * .27 mm = 8.636 mm ^2 = 0.008636 m^2
My best guess for the length the current would travel would be to take the circumference of a circle or in this case the bitter disk * number of turns and convert to meters.
c = 2 π r = 2 * π * 25.4mm = 159.593 mm = 0.159593m * 564 = 90.01m
(1.7 x 10-8 Ωm * 90.01m)/ (0.008636 m^2)
R = 0.0001771850393700787Ω
V = IR
V = 0.086 amps * 0.0001771850393700787Ω = 0.0000152379133858267682 volts
V = 0.00001524 volts

Questions:

What would the voltage be?
Would the overlapping copper plates add more resistance and increase the voltage?
Would the insulation between the copper plates add resistance?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is the force that pushes electrons through a conductor, such as copper plates.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured in volts (V) using a device called a voltmeter. This device is connected in parallel to the circuit and measures the potential difference between two points.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and current?

Ohm's Law states that the voltage (V) in a circuit is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). So, when current is run through copper plates, the voltage will depend on the current and the resistance of the plates.

4. Why is copper used as a conductor for electricity?

Copper is commonly used as a conductor for electricity because it is a good conductor of electricity and is readily available. It also has a low resistance, meaning that it allows for a smooth flow of current.

5. How does the voltage affect the flow of current through copper plates?

The voltage applied to the copper plates determines the strength of the electric field, which in turn affects the flow of current. Higher voltage will result in a stronger electric field and therefore a higher current flow through the plates.