Test for Magnesium: Identifying Vitamin Capsules

• Thread starter larry909
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnesium
In summary, the conversation is about a person who has a bottle of mixed up vitamins and is unsure if one of the capsules is magnesium. They ask if there is a test they can do to determine if the capsule is magnesium, but it is not recommended due to the risk of harm. It is advised to get new bottles of vitamins instead.
larry909
I have a bottle with some vitamin capsules that got mixed up with other vitamins and I can't remember what it is but I'm almost sure it's magnesium.

Is there a test I can do like drop the powder of the capsule into some kind of liquid and I would be able to tell if it's magnesium?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It would be a magnesium compound - which in theory could be discovered with a home spectrometer.
But in all practicality - NO.

If there is any significant risk of harm, I would strongly advise tossing all the pills out.

The pills probably cost less than $20. Small insurance.

I'm sorry but this is just asking for trouble. Please get new bottles of vitamins if you can't tell what's what. Thread locked.

1. How does the test for magnesium work?

The test for magnesium involves the use of a colorimetric indicator that changes color in the presence of magnesium. This indicator is added to a solution containing the vitamin capsule, and the resulting color change can indicate the presence of magnesium.

2. Why is it important to test for magnesium in vitamin capsules?

Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a key role in many bodily functions. It is important to ensure that vitamin capsules contain the correct amount of magnesium to support overall health and well-being.

3. Can the test for magnesium be done at home?

Yes, the test for magnesium can be done at home using a colorimetric indicator and a sample of the vitamin capsule. However, for more accurate and reliable results, it is recommended to have the test done in a laboratory setting.

4. What other nutrients can be tested using this method?

This method can also be used to test for other minerals such as calcium and iron. However, different colorimetric indicators may be needed for each nutrient.

5. How long does the test for magnesium take?

The test for magnesium usually takes a few minutes to complete. This may vary depending on the type of colorimetric indicator used and the concentration of magnesium in the sample.