Testing Heating Hot Dog in 900W Microwave Oven

In summary: Good luck.In summary, the conversation revolves around the design of a hot dog heating device using a magnetron from a 900W microwave oven. The individual is seeking advice on whether to mount the magnetron antenna on top or on the side of a metal tube, and whether a rotating reflector is necessary to distribute the waves. The conversation also touches on the issue of RF shielding and safety concerns with high powered microwaves. The individual is directed to resources on microwave oven design and advised to seek a mentor or consultant for further assistance.
gstrom
Hello,

I want to do a test heating a hot dog in a tube using a Magnetron from a 900W Microwave oven. Before doing the test I would like to know if there is any reasons not to mount the magnetron antenna on top of the metal tube, or on the side. (Please see attached picture)

Also, will I need a rotating reflector to distribute the waves?

I am not shure this is the correct forum. If not, please advise the corect one.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Magnetrons.jpg
    Magnetrons.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 406
Engineering news on Phys.org
gstrom said:
Hello,

I want to do a test heating a hot dog in a tube using a Magnetron from a 900W Microwave oven. Before doing the test I would like to know if there is any reasons not to mount the magnetron antenna on top of the metal tube, or on the side. (Please see attached picture)

Also, will I need a rotating reflector to distribute the waves?

I am not shure this is the correct forum. If not, please advise the corect one.

Thanks,

Welcome to the PF. What does your overall shielded enclosure look like?

The tube is approx. 23cm long, with a diameter of 7cm.

gstrom said:
The tube is approx. 23cm long, with a diameter of 7cm.

That's not exactly what I was asking. I was asking what your RF shielding strategy is for the overall device. What experience do you have in the area of high-power RF shielding and testing?

Some of the questions you ask make me wonder if you should be playing with a magnetron or the 4000Vdc, 500mA+ power supply

Good observation…. Yes, I have no experience regarding using Magnetrons or shielding waves from a Magnetron. However, I worked with RF transmitters in the military, repaired BW and Color TVs, and are presently working with 600VAC, 300Amp circuits, so I think I know what I am up against, and that is why I found this forum to educate myself, before I hurt myself or anyone else.

The metal tube I am using will not have any holes as in a microwave door, so waves should not escape the tube. To prevent overheating I will install the thermo sensor from the microwave oven

Are there any other concerns I should consider? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
gstrom

I think I see what you're attempting, but at best I don't think it would give the desired result.
First, the tube needs to reach a medium where the wave can propagate. Judging the tube from the size of the hot dog, your space is too confined to propagate a typical microwave oven signal (2.? GHz)
The next issue is that you're coupling REALLY well into the hot dog near the point of insertion. That means your energy is going to to heat the hot dog very quickly near the antenna and hardly at all as you move away.

Personally, I'm creeped out by these high powered microwave projects. A little RF leakage can injure you in the bone before you notice. Also, and not to be shunned, the power supplies on these will kill. I worked on TV's in college and developed offline motor drives and power supplies. None of that stuff is near as deadly as these microwave projects.

If you want to make the hot dog cooker of the age, I'd stick with something a little safer, like a Pyrex tube with heater wire and insulation, or maybe a stainless steel tube with induction heat, or a hot air design. These all have hot surfaces, so they can injury you, but you'll most likely come away with life and limb. That's a guarantee you won't get with high powered RF.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Thanks for the response and the warning. However, I have to figure out how to do it.

Induction heat or hot air does not work, since the hot dog being heated is in a plastic pouch.

To propagate the microwave signal I might be able to increase the chamber to 25cm long, 7cm wide and 25cm high, so the antenna is about 20cm above the hot dog. Will that work?

Can anyone direct me to where I can learn about microwave oven design?

Thanks,
gstrom

gstrom said:
Thanks for the response and the warning. However, I have to figure out how to do it.

Induction heat or hot air does not work, since the hot dog being heated is in a plastic pouch.

To propagate the microwave signal I might be able to increase the chamber to 25cm long, 7cm wide and 25cm high, so the antenna is about 20cm above the hot dog. Will that work?

Can anyone direct me to where I can learn about microwave oven design?

Thanks,
gstrom

Just googling microwave oven design gives you this hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?source...=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=microwave+oven+design

I'm afraid that I need to close this thread. We can't be giving much more support on this via an Internet forum. Hopefully you can find a mentor or consultant in your area who can assist you with the design, and with the FCC and UL submittals.

1. How long should I microwave a hot dog in a 900W microwave oven?

The time needed to microwave a hot dog in a 900W microwave oven may vary depending on the size and type of hot dog. Generally, it takes about 30-45 seconds for a regular-sized hot dog to be fully heated in a 900W microwave oven.

2. Can I microwave multiple hot dogs at once in a 900W microwave oven?

Yes, you can microwave multiple hot dogs at once in a 900W microwave oven. However, make sure to arrange them in a single layer and leave some space between them to ensure even heating.

3. Is it safe to microwave hot dogs in a 900W microwave oven?

Yes, it is safe to microwave hot dogs in a 900W microwave oven. However, make sure to follow proper food safety guidelines and cook the hot dogs to an internal temperature of 165°F to avoid any risk of foodborne illness.

4. Should I cover the hot dog when microwaving it in a 900W microwave oven?

It is not necessary to cover the hot dog when microwaving it in a 900W microwave oven. However, covering it with a paper towel can help prevent splatters and keep the hot dog moist.

5. Can I use a plastic container to microwave the hot dog in a 900W microwave oven?

No, it is not recommended to use plastic containers to microwave hot dogs in a 900W microwave oven. The high heat can cause the plastic to melt or release harmful chemicals into the food. It is best to use microwave-safe dishes or cook the hot dog on a microwave-safe plate.