Testing policy for using calculators at U of I ? Just wonder

In summary, the conversation discusses the policy at University of Indianapolis for using calculators in math courses. The person asking the question is concerned about the workload if they have to do tests by hand. The conversation suggests checking the university's website or contacting the Math Department to find out the specific policy.
Indianspirit
Just wondering if anyone happened to know how to find out the policy at University of Indianapolis for taking something like calculus or statistics. It just seems like a work load if they have you tests by hand. I'd just like to know because it'd make me relieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask.

And do so when not drunk.

I do not know about University of Indianapolis per se, but at most universities I know of, calculators are not required and not allowed in the basic math courses for the simple reason that you have no use for them and for those cases you do, e.g., when you have a symbolic calculator, you are usually being tested whether or not you can perform the task yourself.

Indianspirit said:
Just wandering if anyone happened to know how to find out the policy at University of Indianapolis for taking something like calculus or statistics. It just seems like a work load if they have you tests by hand. I'd just like to know because it'd make me relieved.1. Homework Statement

Why are you asking this on an online forum where most of the people don't know anything about the University of Indianapolis? Surely, there are much better ways of finding this information.

Doesn't the U of Indy have a web site? Have you surfed the site to see if their policies on calculators are posted? Telephoned? Faxed? E-mailed the Math Department?

What is the current testing policy for using calculators at U of I?

The current testing policy for using calculators at U of I allows students to use a calculator for exams and quizzes if it is approved by the course instructor. However, some courses may have specific restrictions on calculator usage, so it is important to check with your professor.

Are there any limitations on the type of calculator that can be used for exams at U of I?

Yes, the university has a list of approved calculators that are allowed for use during exams. This list is regularly updated and can be found on the university's website. It is important to note that programmable and graphing calculators are generally not allowed.

Can I bring my own calculator or do I have to borrow one from the university?

You can bring your own calculator, as long as it is on the approved list. However, some courses may require that you use a specific calculator, so it is best to check with your professor beforehand. The university also has calculators available for loan at the library.

What should I do if my calculator malfunctions during an exam?

If your calculator malfunctions during an exam, you should notify your professor immediately. They will provide you with a new calculator or make alternative arrangements for you to complete the exam without a calculator.

Are there any consequences for using an unapproved calculator during an exam at U of I?

Yes, using an unapproved calculator during an exam is considered a violation of academic integrity and may result in disciplinary action. It is important to always check the approved calculator list and follow the guidelines set by your professor to avoid any issues.