Testing the Impact of Different Prototypes: Dropping 20lbs from 10’

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a new product and the testing of its impact results by dropping a consistent weight from a consistent height. A simple formula is provided for calculating the velocity at impact, and an example is given using 20lbs and 10ft as the variables. The conversation also addresses the role of air resistance and provides instructions for using the formula.
bp1945
I am developing a new product. I am currently constructing various prototypes of the product changing only one component using a different material with each model.

I want to test the impact results of each different model dropping a consistent weight (i.e. 20lbs) from a consistent height (i.e. 10’) for each test so video these results to determine which model will best suit my needs.

So, this sounds like a simple question, dropping 20lbs from 20’, what will be the velocity at impact? And is there a simple formula I can use if I change the variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
bp1945 said:
I am developing a new product. I am currently constructing various prototypes of the product changing only one component using a different material with each model.

I want to test the impact results of each different model dropping a consistent weight (i.e. 20lbs) from a consistent height (i.e. 10’) for each test so video these results to determine which model will best suit my needs.

So, this sounds like a simple question, dropping 20lbs from 20’, what will be the velocity at impact? And is there a simple formula I can use if I change the variables?
If the products that you are dropping are relatively aerodynamic you can use a very simple formula:
[tex]v=\sqrt{2ad}[/tex],
where
v is the velocity when the object hits the ground (ft/s)
a is the acceleration due to gravity (32.17 ft/s2)
d is the height you dropped it from (ft).

Hey gamesguru, thanks for your response. After reading your response and re-reading my question I realize I didn't make it quit clear.

I'm not dropping the product, the product will be stationary and parallel to the ground and I will be dropping the weight from a certain height straight down on the product to determine velocity and record (video) impact damage.

And gamesguru, I am worse than terrible at math so that formula scared the hell out of me. Can you do an example using 20lbs as the weight and 10ft. as the distance dropped. What I need to know is the velosity at impact using those two variables. And I may change variables to get different results.

Can you explain this to me in idiot terms?

As long as you work with fairly heavy weights, the role of air resistance will be negligible and so the weight will not matter, only the height will determine the impact velocity.
If you use my above formula, you will find (in feet):
[tex]velocity=\sqrt{64.34*height}[/tex].
You can use google now. To find the impact velocity at 10 feet just type "sqrt(64.34*10)" (without quotes) into google, hit enter. You will get 25.36. This means your weight will hit the product at a speed of 25.36 feet per second.
Hope that helps.

Thanks gamesguru, this helps greatly.

1. How do you determine the impact of different prototypes on weight loss?

To determine the impact of different prototypes on weight loss, we conduct a controlled experiment where participants are randomly assigned to different prototype groups. We then track their weight loss progress over a certain period of time and compare the results between the different groups.

2. What are the different prototypes being tested?

The different prototypes being tested could include various exercise routines, diet plans, or a combination of both. These prototypes are designed to help participants lose 20lbs in a 10' timeframe.

3. How many participants are involved in the study?

The number of participants involved in the study can vary, but typically a larger sample size yields more reliable results. It is important to have a diverse group of participants to ensure the results can be applied to a wider population.

4. How do you ensure the accuracy and validity of the results?

To ensure the accuracy and validity of the results, we use strict research protocols and controls. This includes random assignment of participants, measuring weight loss using standardized methods, and controlling for external factors that may affect weight loss such as age, gender, and overall health.

5. What are the potential implications of this study?

The potential implications of this study could include identifying the most effective prototype for weight loss, providing evidence-based recommendations for individuals looking to lose weight, and potentially influencing the development of new weight loss programs or products.