Testing the Usefulness of Prime Number Test

In summary, the test does not work for primes less than 11 since then the sum of all numbers from 1 to (P-1)/2 is not greater than P.
ramsey2879
Does anyone have any comment on the usefulness of the following test?
Input P
Prime = true
Triangular = 0
n = 0
Do until Triangular > P
n = n + 1
Triangular = Triangular + n
loop
X = Triangular Mod P
Do
Y = Int(Sqr(2*X))
' Comment if X is triangular then (Y*Y+Y)/2 = X
If (Y*Y+Y)/2 = X then
Prime = False
Exit Do
End If
n = n + 1
X = (X+ n) mod P
loop until n = (P+1)/2
Print "P is prime is " & Prime

Edit: I forgot to mention that this test does not work for primes less than 11 since then the sum of all numbers from 1 to (P-1)/2 is not greater than P but I checked it as an Excel macro for all odd numbers between 8 and 90,000 and the test worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I should post the following modification to more quickly complete the test in the case that P is an odd triangular number. Change the statement "Do until Triangular > P" to --Do until Triangular > P-1 --.

Here's my test code (Pari/GP):
Code:
test(p)={
  my(tri=0,n=0,x,y);
  while(tri<=p,tri+=n++);
  x=tri%p;
  while(n!=(p+1)/2,
    y=sqrtint(x+x);
    if(x==y*(y+1)/2,return(0));
    x=(x+n++)%p
  );
};

It seems to be an extremely slow test compared to trial division. I have attempted to repeat your verification to 90,000 but it has not completed in ten minutes. (I did not uncover any mistakes in that time, though.)

CRGreathouse said:
Here's my test code (Pari/GP):
Code:
test(p)={
  my(tri=0,n=0,x,y);
  while(tri<=p,tri+=n++);
  x=tri%p;
  while(n!=(p+1)/2,
    y=sqrtint(x+x);
    x=(x+n++)%p
  );
};

It seems to be an extremely slow test compared to trial division. I have attempted to repeat your verification to 90,000 but it has not completed in ten minutes. (I did not uncover any mistakes in that time, though.)
once the test is verified/proven then improvements/unnecessary steps such as recalculating the triangular number can be considered.

ramsey2879 said:
once the test is verified/proven then improvements/unnecessary steps such as recalculating the triangular number can be considered.

I moved to a faster computer and was able to verify that your test works on all odd numbers n with 3 < n < 90,000. Here's a slightly (18%) faster version of the test:

Code:
test(p)={
  my(n=sqrtint(2*p),x=n*(n+1)/2,y,target=(p+1)/2);
  while(x<=p,x+=n++);
  x=x%p;
  while(n!=target,
    y=sqrtint(x+x);
    x=(x+n++)%p
  );
};

It's clearly far slower than trial division if p is prime -- it takes about p/2 steps instead of about 2sqrt(p)/log(p) steps. It seems to take longer for composites as well.

This is closely related to Fermat's method
if n isn't divisible by 2.

(all calculations mod n).
Since n isn't divisible by 2, multiplying the equation by 2 is OK

(1/2)x(x+1) = (1/2)y(y+1) <=>
x(x+1) = y(y+1) <=>
(x+1/2)^2 + (1/4) = (y+1/2)^2 + (1/4) <=>
(2x+1)^2 = (2y+1)^2

so the difference of 2 squares is a multiple of n, and gcd(x-y, n) or gcd(x+y, n)
will give a factor.

[tex] \pi [/tex]

1. What is the purpose of testing the usefulness of prime number tests?

The purpose of testing the usefulness of prime number tests is to determine their effectiveness in identifying prime numbers. This is important in many areas of mathematics and computer science, such as cryptography and number theory.

2. What are some common prime number tests?

Some common prime number tests include the Sieve of Eratosthenes, the Fermat primality test, and the Miller-Rabin primality test. These tests use different algorithms and approaches to determine whether a number is prime.

3. How do scientists evaluate the effectiveness of prime number tests?

Scientists evaluate the effectiveness of prime number tests by analyzing their accuracy, efficiency, and scalability. This involves running the tests on a variety of numbers and comparing the results to known prime numbers.

4. What are some challenges in testing the usefulness of prime number tests?

One challenge in testing the usefulness of prime number tests is the lack of a definitive proof for the correctness of many of these tests. Another challenge is the constant evolution of technology, which may render certain tests obsolete over time.

5. How can the results of testing prime number tests impact the field of mathematics?

The results of testing prime number tests can have a significant impact on the field of mathematics by providing insight into the properties and patterns of prime numbers. It can also lead to the development of more efficient and accurate tests, which can have practical applications in various fields.