Testing VHF Radio Wave Performance with Different Antennas

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment focused on radio waves and the use of three different antennas (3/4 wave, 1/4 wave, and 5/8 wave) connected to a VHF radio transceiver. The purpose of the experiment is to test the effects of vertical and horizontal polarization on field strength. The experiment also includes building the antennas either professionally or using wire. Suggestions and advice are requested, including the distance between the transmitter and receiver for taking measurements with a homemade field strength meter.
prime-factor
Hi. I am designing an experiment focused on radio waves for my experiment and this is the basis of it:

Three antenna's will be tested for point to point transmission (VHF): [ 144 MHz ]

>>3/4 Wave antenna

>>1/4 Wave antenna

>>5/8 Antenna (Best Angle of Radiation Usually)

These antennas will be connected to a VHF radio transceiver, a voice signal will be transmitted and this will be measured with a field strength meter. The purpose of the experiment is to test whether vertical polarization vs horizontal polarization will make a large difference in field strength. (basically testing antenna up straight and then again when horizontally polarized and looking for differences in field strength).

My aim is to produce data which can be graphed illustrating the differences in field strength based on the different antennas as well as the polarization differences. I am hoping that this can lead on to an explanation of how angles of radiation affect directivity and gain.

Also I am wondering whether to build the antenna's professionally (I have the equipment to do so), or to demonstrate the simplicity and to simply use wire. (The reason I have chosen these antennas is because they are the types that will match my transciever impedance)

Any suggestions/help/advice are NEEDED!, I would highly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to know how far the transsmission will be measured over i.g miles
the power used watts

As a ameture radio operator if you have some one on a vertical and some one on a horizontal there can be a diiference and vice versa and sum time they can be very distorted.

What type of antenna are u using?

73's

Hi. :)

As for antenna's I am not sure whether to simply use wire cut to the appropriate wavelength or to build them professionally myself.

I will use:

3/4 Wave l.

1/4 Wave l.

5/8 Wave l.

regardless of whether it is wire or a professional antenna. What do you think would be best in this regards: Wire vs Proffesionally built ( I can make it at home). Because maybe to illustrate the simplicity of it a wire may suffice. Any advice?

Power used: 25 Watts

As for distance... I have no idea what would be an effective distance to for point to point to get good readings. Any advice?

The Rx reciever will remain constant with a vertical antenna at all times. Only the transmitter Tx antenna will change in polarity.

The best antenna you could use would be a dipole they are very efficient and you will get the standing wave ratio down to about 1.2.1. bought antennas are a gimmick they place capacitors into burn off unwanted power to get there swr down so there is aloss of power.

I would try the setup hozizontal to horizontal and vertical to vertical and vertical to horizontal.

Throught my experience of radio I listen to most of the broadcast on a hozizontaly long wire end feed this also picks up a lot of interference ect if i get sum one transmiting on a vertical there is distortion and the signal is not as strong as me switching to my 35 foot whip the signal is stronger.

Hope this helps

73's

Thankyou very much. :)

What do you think would be a good distance between Tx and Rx to take measurements with a homemade field strength meter?

VHF does not travell far as the wave is small and anythink in its way will effect it strength. what distance where you thinking? couple of miles i was thinking because the power will just bend the needle rite over.

Is it possible to have a copy of the schematics of the homemede strenght meter.

73's

prime-factor said:
What do you think would be a good distance between Tx and Rx to take measurements with a homemade field strength meter?

I'm confused, if you have a receiver why do you need a field strength meter?

The Reciever is just to make sure that a signal is being transmitted (just incase what is picked up is interference or another station). The field strength meter will measure the differences in the signals strength based on vertical and horizontal polarization of the antenna.

1. How do you test VHF radio wave performance with different antennas?

The most common way to test VHF radio wave performance with different antennas is to set up a controlled experiment where the same radio is used with each antenna. The experiment should be conducted in a location with minimal interference and the same distance from the transmitter. The strength and clarity of the received signal can then be compared between each antenna.

2. What factors affect VHF radio wave performance with different antennas?

The performance of VHF radio waves with different antennas can be affected by a number of factors including the antenna's design, height, location, and orientation. Additionally, external factors such as weather conditions and interference can also impact performance.

3. How do you measure the performance of VHF radio waves with different antennas?

The performance of VHF radio waves with different antennas can be measured by analyzing the received signal strength and clarity. This can be done using specialized equipment such as signal analyzers or by using a simple signal strength meter.

4. What are some key features to look for in VHF antennas for optimal performance?

Some key features to look for in VHF antennas for optimal performance include a high gain antenna to increase signal strength, a directional antenna to improve reception in a specific direction, and a sturdy and weather-resistant design for durability.

5. How can I improve the performance of my VHF radio waves with different antennas?

To improve the performance of VHF radio waves with different antennas, you can try adjusting the height, location, and orientation of the antenna. Additionally, using a higher quality or more specialized antenna designed for VHF frequencies may also improve performance. Conducting regular maintenance and avoiding interference sources can also help optimize performance.