Text book suggestion for stochastic process

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether they have enough knowledge to understand time series and/or the Stochastic Process after completing two semesters of statistics and one semester of multiple regression models. They also request recommendations for textbooks on these topics with practical applications. The suggested resources include "Introductory Statistics with R" by Cryer, "Time Series -- Applications to Finance with R and S-Plus" by Chan, "Modelling Financial Time Series with S-Plus" by Zivot and Wang, and "Introduction to Time Series and Forecasting" by Brockwell and Davis. These books are considered to be easily understandable by the individual.
happysauce
Hello. I plan on doing independent study on the Stochastic Process and time series models. I have already learned two semesters worth of statistics (Mathematical Statistics and Applications by Wackerly, Mendenhall and Scheaffer). And I have taken a semester of multiple regression models. I have used a program called R script in these classes. My question is, do I have enough knowledge to understand time series and/or the Stochastic Process. If not then what should I explore before hand? Also what are good textbooks for these topics? I would prefer a book with applications too, not just theory.

Your input will help me significantly and for that I thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Three books on R used in the context of finance and statistics are:

Cryer - Introductory Statistics with R
Chan - Time Series -- Applications to Finance with R and S-Plus
Zivot, Wang - Modelling Financial Time Series with S-Plus

And some mathematical background:

Brockwell, Davis - Introduction to Time Series and Forecasting

I find the books fairly accessible.

1. What is a stochastic process?

A stochastic process is a mathematical model used to describe the evolution of a system over time, where the outcomes of the system are random and cannot be predicted with certainty. It is often used in fields such as statistics, physics, and finance to analyze and model unpredictable phenomena.

2. Why is it important to have a textbook for stochastic process?

A textbook provides a comprehensive and structured overview of the key concepts, theories, and applications of stochastic processes. It can serve as a valuable resource for students and researchers to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and apply it to real-world problems.

3. What are the key topics that should be covered in a textbook on stochastic process?

A textbook on stochastic process should cover topics such as basic probability theory, random variables and their distributions, Markov chains, Brownian motion, and stochastic differential equations. It should also include applications in various fields, such as finance, biology, and engineering.

4. How can I determine the quality of a textbook on stochastic process?

To determine the quality of a textbook on stochastic process, you can look at the author's credentials and expertise in the field, the level of detail and clarity in the explanations and examples, and the relevance and applicability of the content to your specific needs and interests.

5. Can you recommend a specific textbook for stochastic process?

As a scientist, I cannot recommend a specific textbook as it would depend on your specific needs and interests. However, some highly regarded textbooks in this field include "Stochastic Processes" by Sheldon M. Ross, "Introduction to Stochastic Processes" by Gregory F. Lawler, and "Stochastic Processes and their Applications" by Peter E. Kloeden and Eckhard Platen.