Looking for book suggestions: see inside.... (physics and diff EQ)

In summary, if you are seeking book recommendations for physics and differential equations, there are numerous options available. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, and "Differential Equations and Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Additionally, online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free educational materials on these subjects. It is important to consider your specific learning style and goals when selecting a book, as well as seeking recommendations from professors or peers.
sparkie
So I'm ordering some supplemental books to guide my education. I'm having a difficult time with physics and diff EQ this semester and am generally unhappy with how things are going in these classes. I'm looking for a few suggestions. I saw on another post that the following book is very good for a supplementary text on diff EQ: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486649407/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So I'm going ahead and getting that one. Our school also seems to have a new circuit theory II instructor every semester, and I hear nothing but complaints from students about the lack of effort in teaching the class, such as giving no review material, very little or no homework and basing the exams on topics that may or may not have been mentioned in class. Given this, I'm going to get a jump start on that course and am looking for a good book to begin my studies of the subject.

Next, I'm having a very difficult time in engineering physics I as well. It seems to be largely an applied mechanics class with very simple problems (compared to what one would expect to have in a real-world situation). I would like a suggestion for a supplementary book to aid in my understanding. Our professor tends to stick to the rigorous mathematical method of teaching it, which I've noticed happens when a person has been teaching the same set of ideals for a very long time. The math is important, but the conceptual and analytical side is extremely important as well. Considering I have never had a physics class before this one, though, I'm not surprised. Could anyone suggest a book for this area of difficulty?

I'm not sure about Engineering Calc III which I will be taking next semester. I would not mind a recommendation for that either, if someone happens to have one.

I really want to get a firm hold on these topics before I move on in my studies. I'm going to dedicate this summer to getting a jumps start on my next set of courses so that I can go into them prepared, as I know that the subject matter is just going to become more difficult and I'm not happy with the conceptual/mechanical foundation that I currently have.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than books, I will suggest a few lecture courses.

For differential equations, you can check out this course.

Since I am not conversant with what is taught in engineering, I will give you the main site: http://www.nptel.ac.in You can search for courses http://www.nptel.ac.in/course.php. The lectures are authentic, and mostly the professors teach good. You will find courses here that are specifically meant for engineering students.

I would not recommend books, as I don't have much knowledge in engineering, but when you're ordering books, you can use the links from this post. In this way, you can donate to this site without paying anything extra. :smile:

I'll use those links. I am not particularly interested in textbooks though. I would like books that approach the subject from a different angle. That being said, I'm open to the idea of textbooks, I just find the way they approach the material, at least in the textbooks I've used so far, to be very and have found that non-textbook sources of information tend to offer insights and ideas from the author that typical textbooks omit.

sparkie said:
I'll use those links. I am not particularly interested in textbooks though. I would like books that approach the subject from a different angle. That being said, I'm open to the idea of textbooks, I just find the way they approach the material, at least in the textbooks I've used so far, to be very and have found that non-textbook sources of information tend to offer insights and ideas from the author that typical textbooks omit.
I don't have experience in books in this field. Other members with more insight than me should be able to give better advice about books.

1. What are some good books for learning about physics?

Some popular books for learning about physics include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

2. Are there any recommended books for understanding differential equations?

Yes, some highly recommended books for understanding differential equations include "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, "Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems" by Dennis G. Zill and Michael R. Cullen, and "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard.

3. Can you suggest a book that combines both physics and differential equations?

One book that covers both physics and differential equations is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. It covers various mathematical topics used in physics, including differential equations, and provides examples and applications in physics.

4. Are there any beginner-friendly books for learning about physics and differential equations?

Yes, some beginner-friendly books for learning about physics and differential equations include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "Differential Equations and Linear Algebra" by Jerry Farlow, James E. Hall, Jean Marie McDill, and Beverly H. West.

5. Are there any online resources or open-access books for learning about physics and differential equations?

Yes, there are many online resources and open-access books available for learning about physics and differential equations. Some examples include "OpenStax Physics" and "OpenStax Calculus Volume 3", both of which are freely available textbooks, and various videos and lectures on YouTube and Khan Academy.