Text from scammer originating from email address rather than phone

In summary: I've had better luck with Super User : superuser.com/questions/53810/how-to-block-text-messages-on-an-android-phone
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In my texting program I don't have the option of deleting texts originating from emails; can only block phone numbers.
Hi,
I received a scam text with links included on my Android S9 phone. Sender appears as an email address, rather than as a phone number. My texting program allows the blocking of phone number does not include the feature of blocking the originating email address. Any ideas of how else I can block an email address or otherwise prevent the sender?

Computer science news on Phys.org
As far as I know, messages not originating from phone numbers cannot be blocked, at least on Android. In my country, too, we receive spam (but sometimes important messages too) from addresses such as AB-CDEFGH. The only way to "block" these is to use an app like Truecaller which hides (not blocks) these messages from the normal inbox, shows them under a separate "Spam" view, and automatically deletes them after a set interval has elapsed.

Likes WWGD
Wrichik Basu said:
The "Add to contacts" option doesn't even exist for such messages in my Android device, running Android 12.
Mine does, but the option to block the sender does not.

WWGD said:
Mine does, but the option to block the sender does not.
My Android does, and it also gives me the block option. I have a Moto-E phone with Android 10.

Likes WWGD
anorlunda said:
My Android does, and it also gives me the block option. I have a Moto-E phone with Android 10.
Mine is a Galaxy S9.It either doesn't give me that option or I haven't found it.

WWGD said:
Mine is a Galaxy S9.It either doesn't give me that option or I haven't found it.
I like to use Youtube for cases such as this. See if you can find a video telling how to do the blocking you want on a Galaxy phone.

Likes WWGD
anorlunda said:
I like to use Youtube for cases such as this. See if you can find a video telling how to do the blocking you want on a Galaxy phone.
I've had better luck with Super User : superuser.com

1. How can I tell if a text is a scam from an email address?

If the text from the email address is asking for personal information or requesting money, it is likely a scam. Legitimate companies usually do not request personal information or money through text messages.

2. Can I respond to the text from the scammer's email address?

It is not recommended to respond to the text, as it may confirm to the scammer that your phone number is active and lead to more scam attempts. It is best to block the number and delete the text.

3. How did the scammer get my phone number from their email address?

Scammers often use automated programs to generate phone numbers or may have obtained your number from a data breach or publicly available information. Be cautious about providing your phone number online.

4. What should I do if I have already responded to the text from the scammer's email address?

If you have already responded and provided personal information or money, it is important to take immediate action. Contact your bank or credit card company to report the incident, change any compromised passwords, and consider placing a fraud alert on your credit report.

5. How can I protect myself from text scams from email addresses?

To protect yourself from text scams, never respond to suspicious texts or provide personal information. Be cautious about clicking on links or downloading attachments from unknown sources. You can also block the phone number and report the scam to your mobile carrier and the Federal Trade Commission.