The amount of time it will take to melt ice

In summary, to calculate the time required to melt an ice cube of temperature T_i$ and mass m$ in water at temperature Tw, one needs to know the rate of heat transfer at the water-ice interface, the kinetics of melting of ice, and the surface area-to-volume ratio of the ice cube.
ChessEnthusiast
What information / formulas do I need to calculate / estimate the amount of time required to melt an ice cube of temperature $T_i$ and mass $m$ in $M$ kg of $T_w$ temperature water?

Assume that the system is insulated.
Is it even possible?

I'm fine with Calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is very difficult to answer theoretically. You would need to know the rate of heat transfer at the water-ice interface, and the kinetics of melting of ice, but also about very variable parameters such as the surface area to mass ratio of the ice cube (which will change as it melts) and the stirring of the water. (As the ice melts, it will be surrounded by a layer of water at 0°C that will insulate it from the surrounding water at Tw. Stirring will disperse this layer and assist heat transfer and melting.) This looks like a candidate for some suck-it-and-see practical experimentation.

Likes davenn, russ_watters and ChessEnthusiast
ChessEnthusiast said:
What information / formulas do I need to calculate / estimate the amount of time required to melt an ice cube of temperature $T_i$ and mass $m$ in $M$ kg of $T_w$ temperature water?

Assume that the system is insulated.
Is it even possible?

I'm fine with Calculus.

A thin sheet of ice will melt faster than a spherical block of ice, both of the same mass.

As mjc123 has stated, one also needs to know the surface area-to-volume ratio, because just using the parameters that you gave are not sufficient to answer your question.

Zz.

Making cocktails involves cracked ice and a lot of agitation - just saying'.

As I see it, thaw rate comes down to heat transfer across the ice surface 'stagnant' zone. Yes, this chilled layer will 'drip' due higher density. The bigger the ice surface to volume ratio, the greater the 'natural' rate. If a significant convective circulation develops, this may diminish the stagnant zone. A stirrer or sonic bath would strip it.

1. How long does it take for ice to melt?

The amount of time it takes for ice to melt depends on various factors such as temperature, surface area, and type of ice. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for ice to melt.

2. What temperature does ice melt at?

Ice melts at 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius). This is known as the melting point of ice. However, the melting point can vary depending on the type of ice and external factors such as pressure and impurities.

3. Does the size of the ice affect the melting time?

Yes, the size of the ice can affect the melting time. A larger block of ice will take longer to melt compared to a smaller piece of ice, as it has more mass and requires more heat to melt completely.

4. Can ice melt at temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

Yes, ice can still melt at temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. This is known as sublimation, where ice changes directly from solid to gas without going through the liquid phase. This process happens at very low temperatures and is influenced by factors such as air pressure.

5. How does the melting time of ice vary in different environments?

The melting time of ice can vary in different environments due to various factors such as humidity, air pressure, and altitude. For example, ice will melt faster in a warmer and more humid environment compared to a cold and dry environment.