Calculating Iceberg Melting Rate

In summary: Antarctica to elsewhere to use for fresh water. He hit a dead end, however, trying to find out how much of the iceberg would be left. He has come up with an equation, T(x), that represents the temperature of water at a distance x from the equator. However, he cannot find out how much heat energy the ocean provides the iceberg. A simpler way to think of this is if a cube of ice was in an open system of water where the water just keeps heating the ice without changing temperature. Any insight such as rate or anything would be really helpful. This has been attempted in the 1960s, but with way too many factors involved,
marawan
So I'm trying to model the process of towing an iceberg from Antarctica to elsewhere to use for fresh water.

I hit a dead end trying to find how much of the iceberg would be left. I know it takes 333 J/g to melt ice and the mass of the iceberg is 7 million tons so i know how much energy it would take in total to melt the iceberg. I have also come up with an equation T(x) that represents the temperature of water at a distance x from the equator. I however cannot find out how much heat energy the ocean provides the iceberg.

A simpler way to think of this is if a cube of ice was in an open system of water where the water just keeps heating the ice without changing temperature. Any insight such as rate or anything would be really helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
This has been attempted in the 1960s. There are way too many factors involved to make a good estimate that is any better than a guess. And the idea is not cost effective. A better way to get fresh water where it is needed would be to use solar energy to desalinate sea water. A will engineered solar system would provide all the fresh water humans would ever need at a very low cost.

You need to get the "heat transfer coefficient" from the water to the ice. Treat the iceberg as a vertical cylinder that is being pulled through the water at a constant velocity. This is the same as a stationary cylinder with water flowing past it. Look up in a heat transfer book or online something like "external heat transfer to (or from) a cylinder." This will give you the equations you need to determine the heat transfer coefficient.

Chet

1. What factors affect the melting rate of icebergs?

The melting rate of icebergs can be influenced by various factors such as air and water temperature, salinity of the surrounding water, wind speed, and ocean currents. These factors can either accelerate or decelerate the melting process.

2. How is the melting rate of an iceberg calculated?

The melting rate of an iceberg is typically calculated using a formula that takes into account the surface area of the iceberg, the temperature difference between the ice and the surrounding environment, and the heat transfer coefficient. This allows for an estimation of how much ice will melt over a given period of time.

3. Can the melting rate of icebergs be predicted?

While various factors can be used to estimate the melting rate of icebergs, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact rate of melting. This is due to the complex nature of the interactions between the iceberg and its surrounding environment, as well as the changing conditions of the environment itself.

4. How does climate change impact the melting rate of icebergs?

Climate change can have a significant impact on the melting rate of icebergs. As global temperatures rise, the air and water temperature surrounding the icebergs also increases, causing them to melt at a faster rate. Additionally, changes in ocean currents and wind patterns can also contribute to increased melting rates.

5. What are the potential consequences of a higher iceberg melting rate?

A higher iceberg melting rate can have various consequences, both environmental and economic. It can lead to rising sea levels, which can impact coastal communities and habitats. It can also affect ocean circulation patterns and marine ecosystems. From an economic standpoint, increased melting rates can disrupt shipping routes and potentially lead to higher costs for industries that rely on these routes.