The amplitude of a forced undamped ocillation

• B
  • Thread starter anonymous24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary: Sorry, I now realize you are studying mechanical systems, but the same happens with an electrical circuit having an inductor and a capacitor.
anonymous24
Hello,
We learned in class that for a simple harmonic damped forced oscillation, the amplitude decreased exponentially over time. And for a completely undamped situation, the amplitude grows uncontrollably when the driver frequency matches the natural frequency of the driven. However, I wonder what will happen if the driver and driven frequency is not matched in an undamped situation. Would the amplitude also increase over time as no energy is lost but at a lower rate than when they match? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anonymous24 said:
Hello,
We learned in class that for a damped forced oscillation, the amplitude decreased exponentially over time. And for a completely undamped situation, the amplitude grows uncontrollably when the driver frequency matches the natural frequency of the driven. However, I wonder what will happen if the driver and driven frequency is not matched in an undamped situation. Would the amplitude also increase over time as no energy is lost but at a lower rate than when they match? Thank you in advance.
In the undamped condition, the Q of the circuit is infinite and the bandwidth is zero, so a generator which differs in frequency cannot couple energy into the resonant circuit.

Just solve the equations of motion:
$$\ddot{x}+\omega^2 x=A \exp(-\mathrm{i} \Omega t).$$
At the end we take the real part to get a real solution.

The general solution is the general solution of the homogeneous equation,
$$x_h(t)=C_1 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)+C_2 \exp(\mathrm{i} \omega t),$$
plus any particular solution of the inhomogeneous equation. Physically it's clear that the ansatz
$$x(t)=C \exp(-\mathrm{i} \Omega t)$$
should lead to a solution. Now it's easy for you to find the solution yourself.

Also the particular solution of the singular case of resonance, i.e., ##\Omega=\omega## can be found by taking the limit ##\Omega \rightarrow \omega## at fixed initial conditions (e.g., choosing as initial conditions ##x(0)=\dot{x}(0)=0##).

tech99 said:
In the undamped condition, the Q of the circuit is infinite and the bandwidth is zero, so a generator which differs in frequency cannot couple energy into the resonant circuit.
Thank you for your reply but sorry I don't understand what do you mean by circuit. I meant in a simple harmonic system. Perhaps I should edit my post.

vanhees71 said:
Just solve the equations of motion:
$$\ddot{x}+\omega^2 x=A \exp(-\mathrm{i} \Omega t).$$
At the end we take the real part to get a real solution.

The general solution is the general solution of the homogeneous equation,
$$x_h(t)=C_1 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t)+C_2 \exp(\mathrm{i} \omega t),$$
plus any particular solution of the inhomogeneous equation. Physically it's clear that the ansatz
$$x(t)=C \exp(-\mathrm{i} \Omega t)$$
should lead to a solution. Now it's easy for you to find the solution yourself.

Also the particular solution of the singular case of resonance, i.e., ##\Omega=\omega## can be found by taking the limit ##\Omega \rightarrow \omega## at fixed initial conditions (e.g., choosing as initial conditions ##x(0)=\dot{x}(0)=0##).

I really appreciate the effort you put into your response but solving differential equations like this may be a bit out of my reach as I'm still in high school. Is there an intuitive way to approach this?

anonymous24 said:
We learned in class that for a simple harmonic damped forced oscillation, the amplitude decreased exponentially over time.
I'm afraid you're a bit confused here. The displacement of the system is the sum of (1) a steady simple harmonic oscillation at the frequency of the driver, and (2) a damped oscillation at the system's natural frequency. It's only (2) that dies away, leaving (1) as the 'steady state', constant amplitude response. In vanhees71's reply, xh(t) is (2) and x(t) is (1).

Philip Wood said:
I'm afraid you're a bit confused here. The displacement of the system is the sum of (1) a steady simple harmonic oscillation at the frequency of the driver, and (2) a damped oscillation at the system's natural frequency. It's only (2) that dies away, leaving (1) as the 'steady state', constant amplitude response. In vanhees71's reply, xh(t) is (2) and x(t) is (1).
Thank you for your response, it does clear up the confusion. Would undamped oscillation also return to steady state over time?

No, but do bear in mind that real systems are damped to some degree. An undamped system is an idealisation, and one that may not be very helpful when trying to understand forced oscillations.

anonymous24 said:
Thank you for your reply but sorry I don't understand what do you mean by circuit. I meant in a simple harmonic system. Perhaps I should edit my post.
Sorry, I now realize you are studying mechanical systems, but the same happens with an electrical circuit having an inductor and a capacitor.
Intuitively, you may know that a wine glass will resonate and shatter if a singer hits the exact resonant frequency. But because the damping of the wine glass is small (efficiency high, bandwidth narrow) the frequency of the note must be exact.

Related to The amplitude of a forced undamped ocillation

1. What is the amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation?

The amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation refers to the maximum displacement of the oscillating system from its equilibrium position. It can also be described as the maximum distance the system moves away from its equilibrium point during one complete cycle of oscillation.

2. How does the amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation change with time?

The amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation remains constant over time as long as the system is undamped. This means that the system continues to oscillate at the same maximum displacement without any loss of energy.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation?

The amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation is affected by the frequency and magnitude of the applied force, as well as the properties of the oscillating system such as its mass and stiffness. A higher frequency or a stronger force will result in a larger amplitude, while a heavier or stiffer system will have a smaller amplitude.

4. How is the amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation related to the system's natural frequency?

The amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation is directly proportional to the square of the system's natural frequency. This means that as the natural frequency increases, the amplitude also increases, resulting in larger oscillations.

5. What happens to the amplitude of a forced undamped oscillation if the driving frequency matches the system's natural frequency?

If the driving frequency matches the system's natural frequency, the amplitude of the forced undamped oscillation will reach its maximum value. This is known as resonance and can lead to very large amplitudes and potentially damage the system if not controlled.