The approximation of classical mechanics

In summary, classical mechanics is an incorrect theory which is only an approximation that uses incorrect assumptions ie. Constant time but yet makes accurate predictions in its regime. GR replaces the very fundamental principles of classical mechanics with other principles to describe the same regime as well as an extended regime.
waves and change
Rehashing this topic because I believe a clear misconception is stated in many threads. Classical mechanics is an incorrect ( by the definition of correct ) theory which is only an approximation that uses incorrect assumptions ie. Constant time but yet makes accurate predictions in its regime. GR replaces the very fundamental principles of classical mechanics with other principles to describe the same regime as well as an extended regime. That being said is classical mechanics a correct theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say until you state the definition of "correct theory" that you're using...

Meanwhile, the old-timers here are rolling their eyes and muttering that "https://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

Likes jtbell, anorlunda, davenn and 3 others
Nugatory said:
Hard to say until you state the definition of "correct theory" that you're using...

Meanwhile, the old-timers here are rolling their eyes and muttering that "https://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

Thank you for the article but I still don’t feel that suffices based on the way I presented my question. It’s not a matter of accuracy ( decimal places) if 2 theories regardless of them accurately describing the same thing use totally different fundamentals. One theory with forces and another without forces describing the same phenomena “accurately”.

My definition in this context of the word correct is that nature abides by rules that can be described entirely( which obviously it may not ) but that is my assumption.

see the "classical physics is wrong" insight

gmax137 said:
see the "classical physics is wrong" insight

Thank you, I don’t see much of a consensus their. And the idea that because a theory gives you the correct answer in a certain domain makes it correct doesn’t sit well...

i think the idea is, you can never know if your model is "correct" rather all you can know is if it gives good predictions. within its range.

many are disappointed to find the purpose is not to find "the truth".

but the truth is unknowable

Likes davenn and russ_watters
gmax137 said:
i think the idea is, you can never know if your model is "correct" rather all you can know is if it gives good predictions. within its range.

many are disappointed to find the purpose is not to find "the truth".

but the truth is unknowable

That could be the case but it could not be as well. I think it is plausible to imagine a set of rules which in and of themselves are the very thing you are describing.

Even within the realm of classical mechanics, why would Newtonian physics with forces be more "real" than the Lagrangian formulation?

These kind of musings are not within the scope of PF, so thread closed.

Likes berkeman and davenn

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, such as planets, cars, and balls. It describes the behavior of these objects based on the principles of Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy.

2. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of microscopic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics introduces probabilities into its equations.

3. What is the importance of approximation in classical mechanics?

Approximation is important in classical mechanics because it allows us to simplify complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. It is especially useful when dealing with systems that have many interacting objects, such as planets in a solar system.

4. Can classical mechanics be used to accurately describe all physical phenomena?

No, classical mechanics has its limitations and cannot accurately describe all physical phenomena. It breaks down when dealing with extremely small particles or objects moving at very high speeds, where the principles of quantum mechanics and relativity must be applied.

5. How does classical mechanics relate to other branches of physics?

Classical mechanics is the foundation of many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and fluid mechanics. It provides the basic principles and equations that these branches build upon to explain different physical phenomena.