The B Word: What's Going On Here?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary: So you can call someone an a-hole in a good way? :rofl:being called a dog is very derogatory. B***** just makes the distinction for females. when a man is called a dog, its just a dog, but its still rude. i know when we studied slavery, the comparison between blacks and dogs was really common.So why would girls want to derogate themselves? Do they think they're somehow less important or lie lower than a boy? I haven't noticed males calling themselves dogs, except for few exceptions where this term is commonly used in blacks' society. But anyway still, how femal's behavior is similar to dog's one? It may be so that females think that they
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Something I've been noticing a LOT lately is people who have bumper stickers that say "B**** on board" or "49% B****, 51% sweet, DON'T PUSH IT" or some other saying... with of course, no ****'s. What's going on here? I thought girls were offended when they were called B's? It's all of a sudden a status simple to be considered one? What the heck's going on here! And they wonder why a woman will never be president...

Physics news on Phys.org
its one of those, using the insults as an empowerment sort of things. like blacks using the N-word, americans calling themselves yankees, or short kids with black and white feathers naming themselves "pengwuino"

If woman becomes the President, chances are, she's a total B---- :biggrin:

cronxeh... what woman isn't just a B**** to you?

Gale said:

your mother? :zzz:

I'm glad this didn't go off topic in 3 posts

I, too, don't get it. Blacks call themselves N...s, many times I heard girls calling themselves B...es. But again if whites call blacks N...s they get their butts kicked off. When you call a girl a B...h it's a synonym with being ready for disaster. What's good about being a B...h? I remember in my 8th grade there was a girl who called herself a B-word, I asked her, why do you call yourself a B...h, she responded, becasue I am a B...h. That's pretty funny, so what's up with all this?

Gale said:
I know, this question isn't for me, but actually, what to you think a B... is?

Pengwuino said:
I'm glad this didn't go off topic in 3 posts

don't worry, you're a B***** too, even if you're a penguin.

heartless said:
I know, this question isn't for me, but actually, what to you think a B... is?

literally? female dog... i remember i once called my mum that when i was mad. i was like "You female dog" kinda funny...

Gale said:
don't worry, you're a B***** too, even if you're a penguin.

Learn to put the correct number of *'s :biggrin:

My "b" word would be "boring". :frown:

Gale said:
literally? female dog... i remember i once called my mum that when i was mad. i was like "You female dog" kinda funny...

But obviously it doesn't refer to humans. People aren't dogs, or wait, maybe they think they're or at least girls think they are? In what way females are similar to dog's behavior?

Pengwuino said:
Learn to put the correct number of *'s :biggrin:

die penguin!

heartless said:
But obviously it doesn't refer to humans. People aren't dogs, or wait, maybe they think they're or at least girls think they are? In what way females are similar to dog's behavior?

being called a dog is very derogatory. B***** just makes the distinction for females. when a man is called a dog, its just a dog, but its still rude. i know when we studied slavery, the comparison between blacks and dogs was really common.

It's not about the words, but about the meaning. Different contexts, different meanings. If it's not meant as an insult and not conveyed as an insult, then it's not an insult. It's like saying "guns are bad".

-Job- said:
It's not about the words, but about the meaning. Different contexts, different meanings. If it's not meant as an insult and not conveyed as an insult, then it's not an insult. It's like saying "guns are bad".

So you can call someone an a-hole in a good way? :rofl:

Gale said:
being called a dog is very derogatory. B***** just makes the distinction for females. when a man is called a dog, its just a dog, but its still rude. i know when we studied slavery, the comparison between blacks and dogs was really common.

So why would girls want to derogate themselves? Do they think they're somehow less important or lie lower than a boy? I haven't noticed males calling themselves dogs, except for few exceptions where this term is commonly used in blacks' society. But anyway still, how femal's behavior is similar to dog's one? It may be so that females think that they're kind of men's pets? It's often true that females are treated like pets and free entertainment. I don't know, do you think you're a B...?

[...] It's like saying "guns are bad".

Sorry, but how "I am a B..." compares with "guns are bad."?
Yeah, you're right, I don't think most of the females call themselves B...es in a true meaning, but use it with a little bit of sarcasm. Anyway, I can barely see such thing as a joke. It's the same as If I would call myself a d.. while being with friends, of course I don't mean I'm a di.. in a true sense, but I'm trying to somehow make fun of myself.
Who came up with such "jokes"?

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
So you can call someone an a-hole in a good way? :rofl:

I can, in a non-offensive way, not necessarily as a compliment of course, but not as an insult either. A sort of "neutral use" of the word if you will. Haven't you ever seen that Seinfeld episode where George's co-workers call each other "sons of b****es"? Under those circumstances you can pretty much use any word you want.

Last edited:
heartless said:
So why would girls want to derogate themselves? Do they think they're somehow less important or lie lower than a boy? I haven't noticed males calling themselves dogs, except for few exceptions where this term is commonly used in blacks' society. But anyway still, how femal's behavior is similar to dog's one? It may be so that females think that they're kind of men's pets? It's often true that females are treated like pets and free entertainment. I don't know, do you think you're a B...?

As far as my points, when these girls call themselves B's, they're saying it like it's something to be proud of. I mean what context could they be using when the B word is something good to be called. I think it goes hand in hand with this other attitude a lot of girls have where they openly admit that "I get what i want" or "Buy me something or shut up" or other insane things like that.

You don't get Pengwino, if these girls call themselves b****es, then they're immune to being called that very profanity. It's a type of rebellion, of the kind "i don't care what you think", etc. It's also possibly because they've been called that so many times that they got used to it.
Personally i don't really get offended by such verbal insults. I don't distinguish between them. All that matters is whether someone is willingly trying to disrespect you, in which case you're allowed to kick some ass without being the bad guy, which is not unpleasant.

Last edited:
-Job- said:
You don't get Pengwino, if these girls call themselves b****es, then they're immune to being called that very profanity. It's a type of rebellion, of the kind "i don't care what you think", etc. It's also possibly because they've been called that so many times that they got used to it.

But that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Society is falling apart :uhh: . Someday flipping someone off and having sex with their wife will be a term of endearment! yeeeesh!

-Job- said:
You don't get Pengwino, if these girls call themselves b****es, then they're immune to being called that very profanity. It's a type of rebellion, of the kind "i don't care what you think", etc. [...]

But why would anyone want to call a girl a *****? Why would they want to rebell? Are they treated badly? Indeed society is falling apart, soon every girl will become a B..., every boy a N..., and every dog a ___?___

In heavy meaning, I would say that some girls are called B... because they act like female dogs. They give out to every men and the like. On the other hand I don't understand what's wrong with it, you have a free will, and desireful thoughts, you do what you what and what you have a desire for. If you like sex, you do it because that gives pleasure. Women have a right to have the same pleasure as every men out there does. It's not maybe a rebellion but after all these years of calling girls B... they started to think that they really are? Same was with A-As, people kept telling them that they're somehow worse than whites and soon after many began to think that they really are worse. Is the same thing happening with girls of today? We all are indeed equal no matter what.

like i said, its just like the N-word, or loads of other words. Insults, especially ones like N-, B****, yankee, (those are the ones i can think of right now,) they're group-specific. So, you can reverse them and use them to refer endearingly to members in the group, from within the group only. Its not just women using insults backward, its a very common thing. Its not even a new thing, its a very old phenomenon.

when a girl calls herself a B****, i'd say it means "i'm a woman, I'm not afraid to get what i want, and i don't care what you think of me in the meanwhile." all insults have some sort of backward connotation like that. Its like, acknowledging what is generally not liked about your group, and then saying "hey, you don't like it, but I'm proud to be it."

heartless said:
But why would anyone want to call a girl a *****? Why would they want to rebell? Are they treated badly? Indeed society is falling apart, soon every girl will become a B..., every boy a N..., and every dog a ___?___

In heavy meaning, I would say that some girls are called B... because they act like female dogs. They give out to every men and the like. On the other hand I don't understand what's wrong with it, you have a free will, and desireful thoughts, you do what you what and what you have a desire for. If you like sex, you do it because that gives pleasure. Women have a right to have the same pleasure as every men out there does. It's not maybe a rebellion but after all these years of calling girls B... they started to think that they really are? Same was with A-As, people kept telling them that they're somehow worse than whites and soon after many began to think that they really are worse. Is the same thing happening with girls of today?
ok, let's not confuse the meanings of words. whilst some may use B**** to mean promiscuous, generally that's not what it means. we have LOADS of other words for girls like that, whore, slut, skank, tart, nympho, hoe etc. really a women who likes sex is best described as a slut or nympho. most otherwords describe a woman who has a lot of sex for various other reasons other than enjoyment.

anyway, B***** has two generally accepted and well used meanings. unfortunately, they're quite contradictory. The first, is anyone who's easily dominated and are subservient. This meaning comes mostly from the notion of a woman being submissive. The other meaning is when a woman is unruly or otherwise disagreeable. This is the meaning that women take pride in when they call themselves a B*****. The idea is that, a woman who isn't pleasant to be around, probably isn't because she doesn't care what you think or what you expect of her. if i say I'm a B*****, i mean that you can't control me cause I'm independent and not afraid to show it.

edit: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=b*tch
you can look there for various definitions. you can see both definitions, (whiney= disagreeable) and definition 5 directly relates to this thread.

edit2: replace b*tch in the url with the correct word.

Last edited:
Gale said:
ok, let's not confuse the meanings of words. [...]

You're indeed right. I didn't realize that girls actually say "I'm a bit..." when they want to show, they might be evil in some cases. B... isn't an derogating word but the opossite, it makes you a taugh girl.

crazychick said:
anyway, B***** has two generally accepted and well used meanings. unfortunately, they're quite contradictory. The first, is anyone who's easily dominated and are subservient.

i've RARELY heard someone refer to themselves as a B in that context.

Stupid Penguin said:

you spelled my name wrong...

and you've never heard someone say "you're my B**** now!" or "B**** get the door!" ? i find that hard to believe. please refer to the link for common usages of the word B****.

Yah but they were always towards guys

oh, where did i mention only women were called b****s? oh yeah, i didn't. i said that that use comes from the notion that women are subservient, hence why its especially used on men. it isn't gender specific however. the other use of the word b***** generally is, unless the guy is gay and moody..

Can I have the 5 mins of my life back I wasted reading your, yet again, pointless thread?

Thread Locked, you Beach...

hahaha, took a whole page before cyrus posted in a penguin thread! new record.

Pengwuino said:

This is a very common usage. Very.

On another note, I think it's terrible that females identify themselves as b*****s. I once had a girl get mad at me because I told her I didn't want a b**** (submissive-sexual denotation). Shocked the h*ll outta me, but now I'm more used to it. People are crazy, shortsided, and generally imperfect. Makes for an interesting time, though.

I think I'm just having a difficult time adjusting to the tragedy of life. Seems such a waste of life to bother with it, but I like talking to people and people like hating, so what am I to do?

Maybe I am around much more civilized people now-a-days...

Gale said:
hahaha, took a whole page before cyrus posted in a penguin thread! new record.

I was at school working on my project for thermo all day designing a HVAC system for a hospital, I just got back home. :yuck:

Oh, also, on topic, yeah, it's a status symbol of sorts. Everyone wants to be liked (unless they're well-trained monks, I suppose). Knowing this, it's no wonder women accept derogation in exchange for someone who at least takes the role of someone who cares.

Also, b**** ,meaning a difficult woman, is an act of defiance, ironically, to the other meaning of b****. I usually think of it as identical to the female version of bastard (even though I know bastard works for both genders normally).