The barrier length in quantum tunneling

In summary, the simplified expression for transmission coefficient is sqrt(2m(U-E)/hbar^2)L >> 1. This is the probability for a single particle to make it through the barrier.
Alan Ezra
Hi,

In transmission coefficient T= exp(-2sqrt(2m(U-E)/hbar^2)L), L, as I interpret it, is the distance of the potential barrier. I am wondering if I have N particles all with kinetic energy E, approaching the barrier, can I integrate the transmission coefficient over a distance from infinity to the potential barrier(the charged radius?), and times the number of particles N, to find out how many of them can penetrate the barrier?

Thank you so much for helping me

best regards
alan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Alan, :welcome:

I checked here and found a different expression. Turns out your ##T## is a simplification for sqrt(2m(U-E)/hbar^2)L >> 1 (and you left out a factor 4E(U-E0)/U2 ).

Point is that this is already the probability for transmission, so no need to integrate.

BvU said:
Point is that this is already the probability for transmission

Actually ##|T|^2## is the probability for a single particle to make it through the barrier. But as you say, no need to integrate, provided all the particles have the same energy, and therefore the same ##T##.

T is already a square. Not to be squared again.

BvU said:
Hello Alan, :welcome:

I checked here and found a different expression. Turns out your ##T## is a simplification for sqrt(2m(U-E)/hbar^2)L >> 1 (and you left out a factor 4E(U-E0)/U2 ).

Point is that this is already the probability for transmission, so no need to integrate.

Hi BvU,

Thanks for the help! So should I use the expression
a326086a233dab558664add1292497b9.png
and multiply it by the number of particles to find out the number of particles tunneled through? And so the expression I gave, the simplified one took a approximation for sinh^2?? Is that right? Thanks.

BvU said:
T is already a square.

Right you are. I got confused between t and T=|t|2. :oops:

1. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential energy barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier according to classical physics. This is possible because of the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the barrier length in quantum tunneling?

The barrier length in quantum tunneling refers to the width of the potential energy barrier that a particle must pass through in order to tunnel to the other side. It is typically measured in nanometers or angstroms.

3. How is the barrier length determined in quantum tunneling?

The barrier length in quantum tunneling is determined by the height and shape of the potential energy barrier, as well as the energy of the particle. It is also affected by the particle's mass and the strength of the barrier.

4. What is the importance of the barrier length in quantum tunneling?

The barrier length in quantum tunneling is important because it determines the probability of a particle successfully tunneling through the barrier. A longer barrier length typically results in a lower probability of tunneling, while a shorter barrier length increases the probability.

5. Can the barrier length in quantum tunneling be manipulated?

Yes, the barrier length in quantum tunneling can be manipulated by changing the properties of the potential energy barrier, such as its height and shape. This can be done using external forces or by altering the materials used to create the barrier.