Does Memorizing 70,000 Digits Increase the Chance of Being a Bolzmann Brain?

In summary, the conversation discusses the assumption that all brain states are equally likely to be a BB and the idea that memorizing 70,000 digits can increase the chance of being a BB by 10^70000 times. The error lies in the fact that this claim lacks scientific evidence and is based on speculative theories. The discussion also mentions the possibility of quantum number generators playing a role in this scenario.
Bolzmann_brain
TL;DR Summary
In his article https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.00850 Sean Carroll says that we should abandon any theory that leads us to the BB problem. Why can't I, by generating quantum random numbers and memorizing them (the record for memorizing pi is 70,000 characters), make my experience as a normal observer so rare that one can say almost without a doubt that I am a Boltzmann brain and reject indeterministic quantum mechanics?
Assuming that all of my brain states are equally likely to be BBs, and that BBs may exist somewhere outside the event horizon and I won't know about this аnd also the fact that I am either BB or OO, by memorizing 70,000 digits in this way, it is expected that I have increased my chance that I am а BB іn 10^70000 times. Where is the error?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I am understanding you correctly, you assume that all brain states are equally likely to be a BB.

Therefore, after having memorized the digits, your brain state would have to be equally likely to be a BB as before you did or while you did, no?

-Riley

OK. As it stands, I didn't realize how small the chance of creating a Bolzmann brain was. Apparently, this small change to the experience can greatly increase its spawn time. The problem is writing a number with powers in the book. The numbers are all written in one row. I thought it must be even smaller than 10^70000 without even paying attention. If you think that is silly... Yes, it is. I thought... Okay, if the whole brain comes up so often, one little memory won't change much. Meybe the need for quantum experience was also quite unreasonable. But the question was more about BBs, not about QM. And what about quantum number generators, well, I found them less speculative and that's all.

Bolzmann_brain said:
by memorizing 70,000 digits in this way, it is expected that I have increased my chance that I am а BB іn 10^70000 times.
This seems like a strange claim. Do you have a professional scientific reference that supports this specific claim? Please PM me with the reference and I will reopen the thread

1. What is the Bolzmann brain paradox?

The Bolzmann brain paradox is a thought experiment in physics that raises questions about the probability of a conscious being, such as a human brain, spontaneously forming in the universe without the need for a long evolutionary process.

2. How does the Bolzmann brain paradox relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the entropy, or disorder, of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that it is highly unlikely for a complex and organized system, such as a human brain, to spontaneously form in a universe that is constantly increasing in entropy.

3. What is the main argument against the existence of Bolzmann brains?

The main argument against the existence of Bolzmann brains is that the probability of a conscious being spontaneously forming in a universe that is constantly increasing in entropy is extremely low. It is much more likely for a conscious being to arise through a long and complex evolutionary process.

4. Why is the Bolzmann brain paradox considered a paradox?

The Bolzmann brain paradox is considered a paradox because it presents a contradiction between the observed complexity of the universe and the probability of a conscious being spontaneously forming in it. It raises questions about the origins of consciousness and the role of evolution in the development of complex organisms.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to the Bolzmann brain paradox?

Some proposed solutions to the Bolzmann brain paradox include the idea of a multiverse, where there are infinite universes with different physical laws and constants, making the existence of a conscious being more probable. Another solution is the concept of a "Boltzmann brain filter," which suggests that the universe has mechanisms in place to prevent the spontaneous formation of conscious beings.