The circumference of an ellipse

In summary, those discussing the circumference of an ellipse found that it is difficult to determine a simple formula for it, with some suggesting it should be π*(a+b) and others providing more complex approximations. It is explained that the ellipse's shape and proportions play a role in this complexity, and a link is requested for more information on the topic.
deep838
I was wondering about how to find the circumference of an ellipse.
I googled for it and found this: http://paulbourke.net/geometry/ellipsecirc/

That got me pretty amazed! I don't know high level maths, but still, can someone please explain to me why the circumference takes such a complicated form?

I mean, why shouldn't it simply be π*(a+b), where a & b are the major and minor axis.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/ellipse-perimeter.html
The best way to understand why the ellipse is so difficult to work out a formula for, try figuring out one for yourself.
Apart from that it is difficult to figure what sort of answer you are expecting: it is the property of an ellipse to be like that just like it is the property of a circle to have an irrational ratio of circumference to diameter.

deep838 said:
I was wondering about how to find the circumference of an ellipse.
I googled for it and found this: http://paulbourke.net/geometry/ellipsecirc/

That got me pretty amazed! I don't know high level maths, but still, can someone please explain to me why the circumference takes such a complicated form?

I mean, why shouldn't it simply be π*(a+b), where a & b are the major and minor axis.
What you are really asking is "why isn't everything trivial?". To which the only reasonable answer is "why should it be?"

To get some intuition regarding why the circumference is not simply ##\pi(a+b)##, consider a highly eccentric ellipse, say with ##b >> a##. The circumference should not be very different from ##4b##, because the ellipse consists of two arcs from ##(0,b)## to ##(0,-b)## (assuming appropriately chosen coordinates) which are nearly straight line segments, each of length ##2b##. Thus the circumference should be close to ##4b##, whereas your proposed formula gives ##\pi(a+b) \approx \pi b##.

Therefore, for ##b >> a##, the ##\pi(a+b)## formula would need to be multiplied by a correction factor of approximately ##4/\pi \approx 1.27##.

Compare this with the "better" approximation given here, for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#Area

$$\pi(a+b) \left(1 + \frac{3\left(\frac{a-b}{a+b}\right)^2}{10 + \sqrt{4 - 3\left(\frac{a-b}{a+b}\right)^2}}\right)$$
We may view the expression in the large parentheses as a correction factor applied to ##\pi(a+b)##. If ##b>>a## we may approximate ##a \approx 0## in that expression, and the result is
$$1 + \frac{3}{10 + \sqrt{4 - 3}} = 1 + \frac{3}{11} \approx 1.27$$

hmm... thanks to all of you... especially jbuniii ! i can now see what i wasn't seeing before! and forgive me if I'm asking too much, but can any of you provide me a link to where this/these expressions are derived?

1. What is the formula for finding the circumference of an ellipse?

The formula for finding the circumference of an ellipse is C = π * (3 * (a + b) - √[(3 * a + b) * (a + 3 * b)]), where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

2. How does the circumference of an ellipse differ from that of a circle?

The circumference of an ellipse is longer than that of a circle with the same radius. This is because an ellipse is elongated and not perfectly round like a circle.

3. Can the circumference of an ellipse be calculated using only the length of one axis?

Yes, the circumference of an ellipse can be approximated using the formula C = π * (3 * (a + b) - √[(3 * a + b) * (a + 3 * b)]), where a is the length of the semi-major axis and b is the length of the semi-minor axis. However, this is only an approximation and may not be entirely accurate.

4. Is there a simple way to estimate the circumference of an ellipse without using mathematical formulas?

One simple way to estimate the circumference of an ellipse is to use a string and a ruler. Place the string around the perimeter of the ellipse, making sure it is taut, and mark the length of the string on the ruler. This will give you an approximate measurement of the circumference.

5. What real-world applications require the knowledge of the circumference of an ellipse?

The circumference of an ellipse is used in various fields such as astronomy, engineering, and architecture. It is also important in calculating the orbits of planets and satellites, designing oval-shaped structures, and creating accurate maps and globes.