The Classical Limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantum effects that limit the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution and give rise to the Bose-Einstein or Fermi-Dirac Distribution. These effects occur under certain conditions such as low temperature, high density, indistinguishable particles, Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, degenerate energy levels, and spacing between energy levels at low temperature. The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is an approximation that works well under certain conditions, but the Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac distributions are the fundamental ones.
JohnnyGui
I have been reading about the quantum effects that limit the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution under certain conditions which leads to the Bose-Einstein or Fermi-Dirac Distribution.
I have difficulty grasping the reasons why these quantum-effects occur only at certain conditions and why exactly they make the MB distibution invalid. I have some questions regarding this.

Several quantum-effects and conditions are pointed out that limit the MB distribution. These are:

1. Low temperature: From what I read, low temperature leads to "overpopulation" of energy levels by particles which makes these particles compete for states. What I don’t understand is why particles having the same state, or quantum state for that matter, should be a problem. Doesn’t each particle have its own quantum numbers that can independently be changed regardless of what quantum numbers other particles have? As long as the total energy is constant?

2. High density: What quantum-effect(s) occur at high density that makes the MB distribution inaccurate?

3. Indistinguishable particles: I’m not sure if this quantum-effect belongs either low temperature or high density. If it does belong to either of these conditions, what is the mechanism of low temperature or high density that makes particles all of a sudden indistinguishable?

4. Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: Again, not sure if this quantum-effect belongs to one of the above reasons. Is this effect namely present in the case of particles with very low velocities which is the case at a low temperature? Why is it so important for the MB distribution to have an accurate measurement of the particles’ positions? Isn’t statistically calculating the population of the energylevels sufficient?

5. Degenerate energy levels: I don’t know why this limits the MB distribution since I have seen derivations of the MB statistics formula that takes degeneracy into account.

6. Spacing between energy levels at low temperture: I reckon the increase in spacing between the energy levels should not be a problem for the MB stastistics formula because MB stastics already considers energy levels as discrete?

Hope someone could clear (some of these) up for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnnyGui said:
I have been reading about the quantum effects that limit the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution under certain conditions which leads to the Bose-Einstein or Fermi-Dirac Distribution.

You have it backwards. The quantum effects don't "limit the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution" and make it into something else. The Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac distributions are the fundamental ones; the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is an approximation that works reasonably well under certain conditions.

JohnnyGui said:
Several quantum-effects and conditions are pointed out

Where? Please give a specific reference.

Likes vanhees71
Note, btw, that even your thread title is incorrect. The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution doesn't have a classical limit; it is a classical limit (i.e., it's what you get in the limit where quantum effects can be ignored).

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is the range of conditions where classical mechanics is applicable. This occurs when the particles in a system have high energies and are far apart, so their interactions can be described using classical physics rather than quantum mechanics.

2. How is the classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution related to temperature?

The classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is directly related to temperature. As temperature increases, the average energy of particles in a system also increases, and the distribution of their energies approaches the classical limit. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more kinetic energy and are less affected by quantum effects.

3. What is the significance of the classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is significant because it helps to explain the behavior of particles in a system at high temperatures. It also allows for the use of classical thermodynamics to describe and predict the properties of a system, which is more practical and easier to apply than quantum mechanics.

4. Is the classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution applicable to all systems?

No, the classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is only applicable to systems with high energies and large distances between particles. In systems with low energies and small distances, quantum effects become more significant, and classical mechanics is no longer accurate in describing the behavior of particles.

5. How does the classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution differ from the quantum limit?

The classical limit of Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and the quantum limit are two different ranges of conditions where different physical laws apply. The classical limit is applicable to systems with high energies and large distances, while the quantum limit is applicable to systems with low energies and small distances. The classical limit is described by classical mechanics, while the quantum limit is described by quantum mechanics.