The conservation of mass in a region enclosing flow

In summary: The dot product of the velocity vector and the unit vector normal to surface A represents the component of the velocity perpendicular to the differential element of surface area, which determines the volumetric flow rate through that surface. On a solid surface, this value would be zero since there is no flow through a solid surface. In summary, the dot product \underline{u} \cdot \underline{\widetilde{n}} in the equation for conservation of mass represents the volumetric flow rate through a surface, and on a solid surface, this value is zero.
miniradman

Homework Statement

In the equation representing the conservation of mass enclosing flow:

[itex]\int\rho \underline{u} \cdot \underline{\widetilde{n}} dA = 0 [/itex]

where:
[itex]\underline{u}= [/itex] velocity vector
[itex]\underline{\widetilde{n}} =[/itex] unit vector normal to surface A

a) what the meaning of the term [itex]\underline{u} \cdot \underline{\widetilde{n}} [/itex]
b) what is the value of [itex]\underline{u} \cdot \underline{\widetilde{n}} [/itex] on a solid surface

The Attempt at a Solution

I find it hard to visualise a graphical representation of what a dot product actually is, however I know that it has something to do with how much one vector acts upon another. Using this fact, would the dot product of the normal vector and velocity vector give the velocity of fluid hitting the surface dA? I'm unsure about this.

part B, I have no idea what specific value could be derived from an expression like this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
miniradman said:
Using this fact, would the dot product of the normal vector and velocity vector give the velocity of fluid hitting the surface dA? I'm unsure about this.

It's the component of the velocity perpendicular to the differential element of surface area dA. This times dA tells you the volumetric flow rate through dA (since the component of u parallel to dA does not result in any flow through dA).
part B, I have no idea what specific value could be derived from an expression like this one.
What is the volumetric flow rate per unit area through a solid surface?

Chet

Related to The conservation of mass in a region enclosing flow

1. What is the conservation of mass in a region enclosing flow?

The conservation of mass in a region enclosing flow refers to the principle that the total mass of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the mass entering the system must equal the mass leaving the system, taking into account any changes in mass within the system.

2. Why is the conservation of mass important in fluid dynamics?

The conservation of mass is important in fluid dynamics because it is a fundamental law that governs the behavior of fluids. It allows us to predict and understand how fluids will move and behave in different situations, such as in pipes or channels, and in larger bodies of water like oceans and rivers.

3. How is the conservation of mass related to the continuity equation?

The conservation of mass is mathematically represented by the continuity equation, which states that the rate of change of mass within a system must equal the net mass flux into or out of the system. This equation is essential in fluid dynamics, as it helps us to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations.

4. What factors can affect the conservation of mass in a region enclosing flow?

The conservation of mass can be affected by various factors, such as changes in temperature, pressure, and density within the system, as well as any sources or sinks of mass. It is also important to consider the flow rate and velocity of the fluid, as these can impact the rate of mass entering or leaving the system.

5. How does the conservation of mass impact environmental conservation efforts?

The conservation of mass is crucial in understanding and managing natural systems, such as ecosystems and waterways, which are essential for environmental conservation efforts. By applying the principle of conservation of mass, we can track and monitor the movement and distribution of pollutants and other substances that can negatively impact the environment, and take necessary measures to mitigate their effects.