The correct interpretation of QM.... according to a "language model" AI

In summary, GPT-3 can generate essays, dialogues, and other original works that look a lot like human originals. There is a similar but less powerful model called GPT-J which can be accessed freely at the following website.
mitchell porter
Gold Member
In the last few years, many of us have heard of GPT-3, a "language model" trained on terabytes of Internet prose, with a remarkable ability to generate essays, dialogues, and other original works. There is a similar but less powerful model called GPT-J which can be accessed freely at the following website:

https://6b.eleuther.ai/

On a whim, I just asked it to write a work about the "correct interpretation of quantum mechanics". The result may be seen here:

There's no breakthrough in the philosophy of quantum theory here. The really significant, even sinister, thing is that we now have these models that can produce imitations of human genres of writing (in this case the genre is, "opinionated essay about physics that doesn't contain much physical detail"), based on patterns distilled from the human originals.

So maybe it's actually off-topic for this sub-forum. Although I am curious what the regulars think about it...

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is quite interesting. We moved your thread to the GD section for wider audience appeal as its part QM and part AI.

One thing to be aware of is that GPT-3 is basically grabbing bits and pieces of established work and generating new content which may or may not be valid. Its scary to think that a human peer reviewer might think its original work and publish it in some journal for other like minded folks to read.

I think at some point there will need to be a byline added to any GPT-X generated content to say where it came from for future readers to know what to expect.

Last edited:
Likes mitchell porter
jedishrfu said:
Its scary to think that a human peer reviewer might think its original work and publish it in some journal for other like minded folks to read.
I don't remember details (names, titles), but people have shown several times that it is pretty easy to abuse peer review, especially in smaller journals (and I don't mean predatory ones).

I believe at least one case was with use of an algorithmically generated text (accepted to some conference proceedings?).

Borek said:
I don't remember details (names, titles), but people have shown several times that it is pretty easy to abuse peer review, especially in smaller journals (and I don't mean predatory ones).

I believe at least one case was with use of an algorithmically generated text (accepted to some conference proceedings?).

Recently a professor got some nonsense in the style of political correctness published. He was fired for engaging in unethical experiments on the editors of the journal.

I'd say that that AI would get an A in a high school English class.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
I have just conducted the experiment of using a fake hep-th abstract, generated at snarxiv.org, as an input for GPT-J. The result is not a coherent paper, but it's shockingly meaningful, even original in places. If the network were tuned further, perhaps by a competitive "GAN"-style process, I really wonder how closely it could approach a real arxiv paper in quality.

mitchell porter said:
I really wonder how closely it could approach a real arxiv paper in quality.
Not sure about GPT-J but GPT-3 has an interesting example at https://www.gwern.net/GPT-3-nonfiction#arxiv-paper If your not familiar with the site, the bold type is a prompt and the small type is where GPT-3 takes over.

1. What is the correct interpretation of Quantum Mechanics (QM)?

The correct interpretation of QM is a highly debated and complex topic in the field of physics. There are multiple interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, the Many-Worlds interpretation, and the Pilot-Wave interpretation. Each interpretation has its own set of principles and assumptions, and there is no consensus on which one is the "correct" interpretation.

2. How does a "language model" AI interpret QM?

A "language model" AI is a type of artificial intelligence that is trained to understand and generate human language. It does not have a physical understanding of QM, but it can process and analyze large amounts of data and information related to QM to generate interpretations and predictions.

3. Can a "language model" AI provide a definitive answer to the correct interpretation of QM?

No, a "language model" AI, or any AI for that matter, cannot provide a definitive answer to the correct interpretation of QM. As mentioned before, this is a highly debated topic and there is no consensus among scientists. A language model AI can provide insights and interpretations based on data and information, but it cannot definitively determine the correct interpretation.

4. How do scientists use "language model" AIs to study QM?

Scientists can use "language model" AIs to analyze and interpret large amounts of data and information related to QM. This can help them identify patterns, make predictions, and generate new ideas for further research. However, it is important for scientists to critically evaluate the outputs of these AIs and not solely rely on them for their research.

5. Is the correct interpretation of QM important for practical applications?

The correct interpretation of QM is important for understanding the fundamental workings of the universe, but it may not have a direct impact on practical applications. Many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers, have been developed using the principles of QM without a definitive understanding of its interpretation. However, a better understanding of QM may lead to new discoveries and applications in the future.