The current of a nichrome tube

In summary, The current in a hollow nichrome tube of inner diameter 1.60mm , outer diameter 4.20mm is 210.6A.
Kittlinljd

Homework Statement

A 60.0 hollow nichrome tube of inner diameter 1.60 , outer diameter 4.20 is connected to a 4.00 battery.What is the current in the tube?
[tex]\rho[/tex] = 1.5*10^-6 ohm for nichrome

Homework Equations

I=dletaV/R
R=[tex]\rho[/tex]L/A -a should be the crossectional area

The Attempt at a Solution

need R so use R=pL/A
A=(4.2E-3)^2(pi)-(1.6E-3)^2(pi)=4.7375E-5m
plug into R
R=((1.5E-6ohm)(0.6m))/(4.7375E-5m)=0.0189972 ohms
then use the resistance to solve for current of the wire
I=4V/0.0189972ohm=210.6A
This isn't the right answer and I don't know what I did wrong! Could someone help me out here, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kittlinljd said:

Homework Statement

A 60.0 hollow nichrome tube of inner diameter 1.60 , outer diameter 4.20 is connected to a 4.00 battery.What is the current in the tube?
[tex]\rho[/tex] = 1.5*10^-6 ohm for nichrome

Homework Equations

I=dletaV/R
R=[tex]\rho[/tex]L/A -a should be the crossectional area

The Attempt at a Solution

need R so use R=pL/A
A=(4.2E-3)^2(pi)-(1.6E-3)^2(pi)=4.7375E-5m
plug into R
R=((1.5E-6ohm)(0.6m))/(4.7375E-5m)=0.0189972 ohms
then use the resistance to solve for current of the wire
I=4V/0.0189972ohm=210.6A
This isn't the right answer and I don't know what I did wrong! Could someone help me out here, please!

Your technique and calculations look okay to me, but I could be missing something.

One thing, though, is your units are incorrect in a couple places. The units of rho are not Ohms (what are they?), and units of area are most certainly not meters.

It would also be helpful if the problem statement had units on all numbers. I had to make assumptions about your calculations later using the numbers you stated in the problem.

Sorry about the missing units! hee they are!
A 60.0 cm long hollow nichrome tube of inner diameter 1.60mm , outer diameter 4.20mm is connected to a 4.00 V battery. The units for P is ohm m, and area should have been m^2. My bad! Oh and by the way the p value wasn't given in the problem, thought I should mention that.

Kittlinljd said:
Sorry about the missing units! hee they are!
A 60.0 cm long hollow nichrome tube of inner diameter 1.60mm , outer diameter 4.20mm is connected to a 4.00 V battery. The units for P is ohm m, and area should have been m^2. My bad! Oh and by the way the p value wasn't given in the problem, thought I should mention that.

That's much clearer, thanks. But are you still getting the wrong answer? Maybe the value of rho is off?

I looked it up and it goes from 1.0E−6 to 1.5E−6ohm m, so I kinda had the right value. I guess i should try the first value as well, however I doubt if its right.

okay so I tried 1E-6, that didn't work so i looked again at what I did for the cross section, found out you can get 2 different values, if you use 4.2E-3 or just keep it in mm then convert you get 2 different numbers, the conversion to mm being the largest. So i tried all possible combinations, and none are right. Heres what i got for 1E-6 as the p value , 315.8 A and if you do it antoher way 3.158E5 A, for the new way with the original value i had its 2.106E5 A. none of these answers are right, or mastering physics is not accepting them.
I really want to know what I am doing wrong!

You forgot to convert diameter to radius.

Wow, that would deffinetly help. Can't believe I forgot something so symple... okay I drew the picture wrong so that messed it up. Thankyou, now let me see if what I get is right now!

Yay it did help, but you have to convert the radius to m first and then you get the right answer of 52.6 A. Thankyou, to the both of ya!

What is the current of a nichrome tube?

The current of a nichrome tube refers to the flow of electric charge through the tube. It is measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on the voltage applied to the tube and the resistance of the nichrome material.

What is nichrome and why is it used in tubes?

Nichrome is a type of resistance wire made from a combination of nickel and chromium. It is commonly used in tubes because it has a high melting point, low coefficient of expansion, and is able to withstand high temperatures and corrosive environments.

How is the current of a nichrome tube controlled?

The current of a nichrome tube can be controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to the tube, as well as the length and thickness of the nichrome wire. By changing these factors, the resistance of the wire can be altered, thus affecting the flow of current through the tube.

What are the applications of nichrome tubes?

Nichrome tubes are commonly used in heating elements, such as in toasters, hair dryers, and ovens. They are also used in laboratory equipment, such as furnaces and ovens, for their ability to withstand high temperatures. Additionally, nichrome tubes are used in electrically heated clothing and heated seats in cars.

How does the current of a nichrome tube affect its temperature?

The current of a nichrome tube is directly related to its temperature. As the current increases, the temperature of the tube also increases. This is due to the resistance of the nichrome wire, which converts electrical energy into heat energy. The higher the current, the more heat is generated, resulting in a higher temperature.