The degree symbol, superscript o, as in temperatures and angle degrees

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, when trying to post on the physicsforum using Alt + 0176, focus went away from the current page and opened a new tab for Google Search Engine with the degree-symbol in the search text field.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
When I tried Alt+0176 in attempted posting, focus went away from the current page and opened a new tab for Google Search Engine with the degree-symbol in the search text field. BAD! What are we supposed to know? I was trying a test of how to put in the "degree" symbol.

Tried test again. Not just opens new tab for Google, but LEAVES from the physicsforum site and goes to the Google search engine...

Physics news on Phys.org
Typing the degree symbol (°) in this way works for me as do other symbols input in a similar manner (e.g. µ or ±).

Testing in LaTeX:
$$ ^\circ F $$

from examples found online like this:

1641846775204.png

Likes PhDeezNutz
But still failed for me.
Trying the degree symbol differently: What if try to copy and paste, from Character Map?

In Character Map
  1. Click on the symbol
  2. Select button
  3. Copy button
On the forum Compose Post field
  1. Right-click, choose Paste
° F or C or K----

At least this method works.

It's also available on the "Insert Symbol" menu.

1641847503041.png

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, Mark44, Keith_McClary and 3 others
symbolipoint said:
But still failed for me.
But is that special to PF? Or if you go to some random site with a comment box and try to write a degree by this method, does it work there?

What is your browser? I have trouble with rendition on iPad and with the Opera browser on Android.

I have Character Map on my taskbar because I use special symbols so often (not just here).
1641849311607.png

Yet another method, which doesn't seem to be well-known, is to use Windows "emoji panel" which also does symbols as well as emojis. You get it by pressing the Windows key together with a semicolon, as it acts as a virtual keyboard.

In the example below I clicked on "Ω" at the top and "<" on the bottom row to get the page shown.

1641849988724.png

This works on Windows 10. I don't know if it's available on other versions.

I will try testing that option right now.
The posting composing field shows an icon looking like an old castle building. Mouse-over says, "Insert symbol".

° That's neat!
⅓ ⅜ ¼ ½ ¾ Very nice feature!

DrGreg,
I am looking for a clearer way to find that emoji selection chart. I guess a web search is needed, in case I do not remember the keyboard combination that you gave.

symbolipoint said:
DrGreg,
I am looking for a clearer way to find that emoji selection chart. I guess a web search is needed, in case I do not remember the keyboard combination that you gave.
Not exactly what I was looking for but I found this online article:
https://www.top-password.com/blog/access-emoji-in-windows-10/

Alt + 0176 works only in Windows because that is ASCII. Linux uses Unicode, so in my Ubuntu system, it is Ctrl + Shift + U + 00B0. Note that you have to keep the first three keys pressed while you type 00B0.

In my computer, I have a shortcut configured in AutoKey. If I type "deg*" (without the quotes), the degree sign is automatically inserted. Similar shortcuts are also configured for LaTeX environments and phrases that I use frequently.

Windows has AutoHotKey, which is far superior compared to AutoKey.

Wrichik Basu said:
Windows has AutoHotKey, which is far superior compared to AutoKey.
To be clear: Autohotkey is a Windows scripting language that is not part of Windows ##-## autohotkey.com.

sysprog said:
To be clear: Autohotkey is a Windows scripting language that is not part of Windows
That's what I wanted to say. Sorry if it meant something else.

Wrichik Basu said:
Alt + 0176 works only in Windows because that is ASCII. Linux uses Unicode, so in my Ubuntu system, it is Ctrl + Shift + U + 00B0. Note that you have to keep the first three keys pressed while you type 00B0.
I guess, if you say so, but I gave my description according my experiences USING WINDOWS 10 with Google Chrome browser.

Now, three ways to be able to get the "degree" symbol are more been reviewed. I'm not sure yet about that emoji panel. ( wish someone knew a way to bring up the emoji panel and not have to rely on key combinations - just know where it is and how to bring it up that way.)

symbolipoint said:
DrGreg,
As far as I know, Windows+Semicolon and Windows+Period are the only ways to summon the emoji keyboard. That's probably why it's not well known. Microsoft's own help for this is hidden deep.

• Informative
Likes Mark44, berkeman and symbolipoint

What is the degree symbol and how is it used?

The degree symbol, also known as superscript o, is a symbol used to represent degrees of temperature or angles in mathematical and scientific equations. It is typically written as a small circle placed above and to the right of the number.

Why is the degree symbol used in temperatures and angle degrees?

The degree symbol is used in temperatures and angle degrees because it helps to distinguish between different units of measurement. For example, 30oC represents 30 degrees Celsius, while 30o represents 30 degrees in an angle measurement.

How do you type the degree symbol on a keyboard?

To type the degree symbol on a keyboard, you can use the shortcut key "Alt + 0176" on a Windows computer or "Option + Shift + 8" on a Mac. You can also find the symbol in the special characters menu on most word processing programs.

Can the degree symbol be used for other units of measurement?

While the degree symbol is most commonly used for temperatures and angle degrees, it can also be used for other units of measurement such as geographic coordinates and percentage gradients. However, it is important to note that the degree symbol should only be used for measurements that are divided into equal parts.

Is there a difference between the degree symbol and the degree sign?

No, the degree symbol and the degree sign refer to the same symbol and can be used interchangeably. However, the term "degree symbol" is more commonly used in mathematical and scientific contexts, while "degree sign" is often used in everyday language.