The dimension of time in String Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of string theory and its relation to time as a dimension. The theory suggests that strings exist in a higher dimensional space, which is determined by the properties and symmetries of the theory. There are various types of string theories with different dimensions and properties, and attempts have been made to compact the extra dimensions in order to better understand the theory.
Julie1703
I was doing some reading on String Theory...I'm not a scientist, but i enjoy it (so forgive me if my question is stupid) and i was wondering: Being time a dimension, could it be the dimension the strings exist in? And interaction between all particles and all forces determine how they vibrate, thus affecting the "becoming" of time?
I would appreciate very much if, in the case this is not possible, someone could explain to me why not in some detail. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you formulate string theory you start with the world sheet, which is basically the area swept out by the string in time. This is analogous to the worldline of a particle. You can then continue to build the theory by thinking of the desired properties and symmetries you want for the string. This will place several constraints on the theory. You find that in order for the theory to be consistent, the strings much exist in a much higher dimensional space which is determined by the contents of the particular theory. For example, in bosonic string theory you have 26 space time dimensions. If you have supersymmetry (a symmetry between bosons and fermions) you can reduce it to 10. Since we only live in 4 space time dimensions people have been trying to successfully compacting the extra spatial dimensions. There are many ways to do this so there are many types of string theories with different dimensions and other properties.

1. What is the concept of time in String Theory?

The concept of time in String Theory is that it is a dimension, just like the three dimensions of space. Time is not a separate entity, but rather intertwined with space in a four-dimensional fabric called spacetime. This means that time can be affected by gravity and other forces, just like space.

2. How does String Theory explain the flow of time?

In String Theory, the flow of time is seen as a result of the interactions between strings. These strings vibrate at different frequencies, creating the illusion of motion and the passage of time. This flow of time is not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. Can time travel be possible in String Theory?

While time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, it is not currently supported by String Theory. However, some theories within String Theory, such as the possibility of multiple universes, suggest that time travel may be possible in certain circumstances.

4. How does String Theory address the arrow of time?

The arrow of time refers to the concept that time only moves forward and cannot be reversed. In String Theory, this arrow of time is a result of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy (disorder) in a closed system will always increase over time. This arrow of time is a fundamental property of our universe and is consistent with the principles of String Theory.

5. Can String Theory explain why time seems to slow down in the presence of massive objects?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects can bend the fabric of spacetime, causing time to slow down in their presence. String Theory is consistent with this concept and provides a more fundamental understanding of how this happens through the interactions of strings and gravity.