The Dirac equation and its conjugate

This means that when you multiply them, the order of the terms gets reversed and a minus sign appears. So, in summary, the conjugated equation is just a rearranged form of the original equation using properties of the gamma matrix and its inverse.
Tomer
This isn't really a homework problem, just a form of writing I don't quite understand.

The Dirac equation is: ("natural units")

[itex] (i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{mu}-m)\Psi = 0 [/itex]

When I try to build the conjugated equation, where [itex]\bar{\Psi} := \Psi^{+}\gamma^{0}[/itex], I get:

[itex] i\partial_{\mu}\bar{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}+m\bar{\Psi} = 0 [/itex]

Which I've then verified and it seems correct.

However, some sources show the conjugated equation in this form:

[itex]\bar{\Psi}(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m) = 0 [/itex]

Now, I know that the scalar product is an invariant, but what I don't understand, is how I can simply shove this [itex]\bar{\Psi} [/itex] to the left side of the equation... how can the operator acting on it be situated *after* it and what does it mean?
And where does that "-m" come from? I get "+m" and so did other sources I saw...

I'm sorry if this question is dumb - this whole thing is rather new to me.

Thanks a lot!

Tomer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Dirac equation is an example of a first order linear partial differential equation, which means that the solution to the equation can be found by rearranging the terms in the equation. The conjugated equation is just the equation rearranged so that the \bar{\Psi} is on the left side of the equation. To do this, you can multiply both sides of the original equation by the gamma matrix and its inverse, so that the terms with \Psi cancel out, leaving the rearranged equation with \bar{\Psi}. The minus sign in the equation comes from the fact that the gamma matrix and its inverse are both anti-symmetric.

Related to The Dirac equation and its conjugate

1. What is the Dirac equation and why is it important in physics?

The Dirac equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons and quarks. It was developed by Paul Dirac in the 1920s and is important because it accurately describes the motion and properties of these particles, allowing us to make predictions about their behavior.

2. What is the difference between the Dirac equation and its conjugate?

The Dirac equation describes the behavior of particles, while its conjugate describes the behavior of antiparticles. Antiparticles have the same mass and opposite charge compared to their corresponding particles. The Dirac equation and its conjugate are related to each other through charge conjugation, which swaps particles for antiparticles.

3. How is the Dirac equation derived?

The Dirac equation is derived from the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics. It combines the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of non-relativistic particles, with the relativistic energy-momentum relationship, resulting in a new equation that is valid for both high speeds and small scales.

4. What are some applications of the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation has many applications in physics, including in the study of atoms and molecules, particle physics, and cosmology. It has also been used to develop technologies such as the electron microscope and the positron emission tomography (PET) scan.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the Dirac equation?

While the Dirac equation has been incredibly successful in describing the behavior of particles, it has some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of gravity and does not fully explain the spin of particles. There have also been criticisms of the equation's complexity and difficulty in interpretation. However, it remains a crucial tool in understanding the behavior of fundamental particles.