The distance traveled by a molecule at a specific temperature

In summary, the equation you are looking for is the Arrhenius equation, which is a diffusion equation, but it does not involve the spacing between Ni atoms.
Hananism
Homework Statement
In the homework, I am supposed to know the average distance traveled by the given molecule (see the attached image for the full exercice)
Relevant Equations
I've found one equation not sure if it is the one I should use. ( it's in the second image attached)
1645909079971.jpeg

I found this equation:

1645909121586.png

and kB and T are Boltzmann constant and temperature, respectively.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The mean free path is irrelevant, as that refers to the gas phase, and we are talking about the diffusion of CO molecules on a nickel surface. Presumably the CO molecules are loosely bound to Ni atoms, and the process involves jumping from one Ni atom to a neighbour, so you need to know the rate of jumping, and how far apart the Ni atoms are on a (100) surface. You also need to know the rate of desorption.

Likes Hananism
mjc123 said:
The mean free path is irrelevant, as that refers to the gas phase, and we are talking about the diffusion of CO molecules on a nickel surface. Presumably the CO molecules are loosely bound to Ni atoms, and the process involves jumping from one Ni atom to a neighbour, so you need to know the rate of jumping, and how far apart the Ni atoms are on a (100) surface. You also need to know the rate of desorption.
Sorry I modefied everything! I found another equation, other than the free path one, what do you think?

Do not modify your original post (except to correct obvious errors like typos). It makes responses to that post, like mine, look meaningless. If you've got something new to say, say it in a fresh post.

Yes, the Arrhenius equation is what you want. Actually, thinking about it, perhaps you don't need the Ni atom spacing after all, as D is a diffusion constant rather than a rate constant.

mjc123 said:
Do not modify your original post (except to correct obvious errors like typos). It makes responses to that post, like mine, look meaningless. If you've got something new to say, say it in a fresh post.

Yes, the Arrhenius equation is what you want. Actually, thinking about it, perhaps you don't need the Ni atom spacing after all, as D is a diffusion constant rather than a rate constant.
I am truly sorry to have done so, I thought of modifying it as long as no one has answered it yet, byt I modified it with the time you answered. Sorry again and thank you very much.
But I don't know, how can I use this to calculate that average distance? I don't understand how it is related to the Arrhenius equation and the diffusion constant.
As this physics part is entirely new to me, I would appreciate it if I get an answer from you about that.

If it is entirely new, why are you being given homework questions on it? What have you learned?

Hmm.. doesn't seem as obvious as I first thought. Bulk diffusion rate depends on the concentration gradient, which you have no information about. If the concentration is uniform, there is no net diffusion, but individual molecules are still moving around. The diffusion coefficient can be related to molecular properties e.g. in the kinetic theory of gases, but gas diffusion is not an Arrhenius process like this. I suppose the diffusion coefficient could be related to the rate of molecular jumping, as mentioned in my first post, but that seems a bit much for a homework question - unless it's something you're supposed to have studied.

1. How does temperature affect the distance traveled by a molecule?

The distance traveled by a molecule is directly proportional to the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the distance traveled by a molecule also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for molecules to move and collide with each other, leading to increased movement and greater distances traveled.

2. Is there a limit to the distance a molecule can travel at a specific temperature?

Yes, there is a limit to the distance a molecule can travel at a specific temperature. This limit is known as the mean free path, which is the average distance a molecule can travel before colliding with another molecule. The mean free path is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the size and shape of the molecules.

3. How does the type of molecule affect its distance traveled at a specific temperature?

The type of molecule does not have a significant impact on the distance it travels at a specific temperature. All molecules, regardless of their size or composition, will experience increased movement and distance traveled as the temperature increases. However, larger molecules may have a slightly shorter mean free path due to their size and increased likelihood of collisions.

4. Can the distance traveled by a molecule be calculated at a specific temperature?

Yes, the distance traveled by a molecule can be calculated at a specific temperature using the kinetic theory of gases. This theory relates the average kinetic energy of molecules to their temperature and allows for the estimation of the distance traveled by molecules at a given temperature. However, the exact distance traveled by individual molecules is unpredictable due to factors such as collisions and random motion.

5. How does the distance traveled by a molecule at a specific temperature affect its properties?

The distance traveled by a molecule at a specific temperature does not directly affect its properties. However, the increased movement and collisions of molecules at higher temperatures can lead to changes in the physical and chemical properties of a substance. For example, increased temperature can cause molecules to break apart and form new compounds, or change the state of matter from solid to liquid or gas.