Why does this question make this simplifying assumption?

laser
Homework Statement
See description
Relevant Equations
A = Q/It, where A is area, Q is heat, I is intensity, t is time
1701712260044.png

The question says to "neglect the change of volume of the water". This confuses me. Why do we neglect the change of the water's volume? Let's say we didn't. A = Q/It, where A is area, Q is heat, I is intensity, t is time. Q = mc(deltatheta), mass is constant, specific heat is constant (as mass is constant) and change in temperature is constant. I and t are also constant.

The change of volume of water would change the density of water, yes, but the mass will remain constant.

Why does the question say to neglect the change of volume of the water here?

Physics news on Phys.org
laser said:
##\dots## but the mass will remain constant.
Does the volume of the container holding the water expand at the same rate as the water?

kuruman said:
Does the volume of the container holding the water expand at the same rate as the water?
Oh, what you are saying is that since the volume is expanding, the area will also expand?

That's not what I'm saying although it is true. You have 200 litres of water in a 200-litre container. Say the heated water expands from 200 litres to 205 litres. For the mass to stay the same, the volume of the container must also expand to at least 205 litres. If it doesn't and there is no safety valve to let water out, the container will burst from the pressure because water is incompressible.

kuruman said:
That's not what I'm saying although it is true. You have 200 litres of water in a 200-litre container. Say the heated water expands from 200 litres to 205 litres. For the mass to stay the same, the volume of the container must also expand to at least 205 litres. If it doesn't and there is no safety valve to let water out, the container will burst from the pressure because water is incompressible.
Ah I see. Let's assume that the volume of the container also expands. Why do we have to assume that the water doesn't expand then?

Are you doing work on the water to raise its temperature, or to decrease its density (since the mass is unchanged but the volume has increased)?

laser said:
Ah I see. Let's assume that the volume of the container also expands. Why do we have to assume that the water doesn't expand then?
The water and the container expand with different expansion coefficients. For example, aluminium has a volume expansion coefficient that is about 1/3 that of water. The author of the problem does not want you to get tangled up with expansion calculations for a mere [4 marks], hence the generous suggestion to "neglect the change of the volume of the water here." That would keep the original mass of the water the same and the calculation simple.

Likes PeroK and laser
laser said:
From the supplied data, we can see that the final answer needs a precision of only 2 significant figures.

Note that the volume expansion coefficient of water is ~0.0002 /ºC. So for a 20ºC rise, the volume would increase by ~0.4%. So it hardly matters here.

I'd guess that the very considerate author of the question didn’t want students wasting their time worrying about this small variation. (Though based on my past experience, very few would have!)

(To find the mass of water,you could use the density at the mid-temperature (30ºC). But it hardly matters in this context.)

Likes PeroK
laser said:
The volume of a fixed mass of water increases with temperature. We have 200 litres of water being raised from 20 degrees to 40 degrees, which will entail an increase in volume. The assumption may be there to fend off those of an excessively pedantic disposition, who might otherwise be scornful of the problem statement.

• Haha
Likes SammyS and Steve4Physics

1. Why does this question make this simplifying assumption?

The simplifying assumption is made in order to reduce the complexity of the problem and make it more tractable for analysis. By making certain assumptions, we can focus on the key variables and relationships that are most relevant to answering the research question at hand.

2. How does this simplifying assumption impact the validity of the results?

The simplifying assumption may impact the validity of the results by potentially oversimplifying the problem and neglecting important factors that could influence the outcomes. It is important to carefully consider the implications of the simplifying assumption and assess how sensitive the results are to changes in this assumption.

3. Can we relax this simplifying assumption without significantly increasing the complexity of the analysis?

It may be possible to relax the simplifying assumption by incorporating additional factors or variables into the analysis. However, this could also increase the complexity of the problem and make it more difficult to interpret the results. It is important to strike a balance between simplicity and accuracy when considering whether to relax a simplifying assumption.

4. Are there any alternative simplifying assumptions that could be made instead?

There may be alternative simplifying assumptions that could be made instead of the one in question. It is important to consider these alternatives and assess their implications for the analysis. Different simplifying assumptions may lead to different results, so it is important to carefully evaluate the trade-offs of each assumption.

5. How do we know if this simplifying assumption is justified?

Justifying a simplifying assumption requires a thorough understanding of the problem and the underlying assumptions that are being made. It is important to assess whether the simplifying assumption is reasonable given the context of the problem and whether it accurately captures the key relationships and variables at play. Sensitivity analysis and robustness checks can also help to assess the validity of the simplifying assumption.