The Electrical energy of a conducting cylinder

In summary: Look it up.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a half-filled cylinder conductor with a liquid dielectric and a constant voltage attached to a battery, where the dielectric is leaking and the change in electrical energy is calculated when the dielectric is removed. The conversation delves into the relevant equations and the concept of conservation of charge, as well as the role of dielectric polarization in changing the charge at conductor surfaces. The main approach to solving the problem involves computing the capacitance of the system with and without the dielectric, and using the conservation of charge to find the change in voltage and ultimately the change in electrical energy.
doktorwho
1. The problem stsatemesnt, all variables and given/known data
A cylinder conductor of length ##l##, inner radius ##a## and outer radius ##b## is half-filled with a liquid dielectric as shown in the picture. The cylinder is attached to a battery of constant voltage ##U## and then separated from it. Imagine that the dielectric is leaking and calculate the change of electrical energy when there is no dielectric present. ( meaning the difference between the beginning state and the one were there is no dielectric)
There is a picture below.
IMG_2019.JPG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I'm going to guide you through my work and thinking so you can correct me and help me finish the problem.[/B]
##ΔW_e=W_{e2}-W_{e1}## ( The state 2 is when its empty)
##W_{e1}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{Q_1^2}{C_1}## ( ##C_1,Q_1## are the total charge and capacitance of the system 1)
Because there is a dielectric in the first system i have two electric fields, the one above the ##h## and the one below going radial.
##E_1=\frac{Q'_1}{2 \pi ε_0 r}##
##U_1=\frac{Q'_1}{2 \pi ε_0}\ln (b/a)##
##E_2=\frac{Q'_2}{2 \pi ε_0 ε_r r}##
##U_2=\frac{Q'_2}{2 \pi ε_0 ε_r} \ln (b/a)##
Then i express the linear charge densities ##Q'_1,Q'_2##
##Q'_1=\frac{2 \pi ε_0 U_1}{\ln (b/a)}##
##Q'_2=\frac{2 \pi ε_0 ε_r U_2}{\ln (b/a)}##
##Q_{total}=Q'_1*(l/2) + Q'_2*(l/2)##
Something does not seem right here, can you help me with what i got wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I'm missing the relevant equations in section 2 :smile: like ##Q_{\rm total}\ ## conserved, ##U_1 = U_2 ## and such...
And what about ##\ C_1, C_2\ ## ?

BvU said:
Hi,

I'm missing the relevant equations in section 2 :smile: like ##Q_{\rm total}\ ## conserved, ##U_1 = U_2 ## and such...
And what about ##\ C_1, C_2\ ## ?
It's not stated but I am guessing that ##Q## must be conserved and ##C## and ##U## are changing. :) The whole work is my guess so i don't know the answer if anything is conserved xD I was thinking someone can provide an insight.

I would forget about E fields. Just compute C1 and C2, then take the difference in 1/2 CV^2. Yes, Q is conserved; removing the dielectric does not remove any charge. So you know that V1 and V2 will be different also.

Likes BvU
rude man said:
I would forget about E fields. Just compute C1 and C2, then take the difference in 1/2 CV^2. Yes, Q is conserved; removing the dielectric does not remove any charge. So you know that V1 and V2 will be different also.
But to compute C i need to have V and to have V i need E

doktorwho said:
But to compute C i need to have V and to have V i need E
No you don't. C is a property of the geometry etc etc and is independent of V, E or Q. (We are not yet dealing with nonlinear capacitors at your stage of the game).

rude man said:
No you don't. C is a property of the geometry etc etc and is independent of V, E or Q. (We are not yet dealing with nonlinear capacitors at your stage of the game).
##C=\frac{Q}{V}## by definition. What do you mean its not dependant on ##Q## or ##V##?

doktorwho said:
##C=\frac{Q}{V}## by definition. What do you mean its not dependant on ##Q## or ##V##?
doktorwho said:
OK take two large parallel plates. Area = A, separation = d. What's the capacitance?

rude man said:
OK take two large parallel plates. Area = A, separation = d. What's the capacitance?
##C=\epsilon_0\frac{A}{d}##
I see your point, it is the conductors geometric property.
For the cylindrical system i then have two capacitances ##C_1=\frac{2\pi\epsilon_0L/2}{ln(b/a)}##, ##C_2=\frac{2\pi\epsilon_0\epsilon_rL/2}{ln(b/a)}## Now i need to know the ##V_1,V_2## for the system in case it's half filled and for that i need ##E##. When i find that what is my ##C## for the case where its half filled? I have two C's?

doktorwho said:
##C=\epsilon_0\frac{A}{d}##
I see your point, it is the conductors geometric property.
For the cylindrical system i then have two capacitances ##C_1=\frac{2\pi\epsilon_0L/2}{ln(b/a)}##, ##C_2=\frac{2\pi\epsilon_0\epsilon_rL/2}{ln(b/a)}## Now i need to know the ##V_1,V_2## for the system in case it's half filled and for that i need ##E##. When i find that what is my ##C## for the case where its half filled? I have two C's?
You don't need E.
You have two capacitors in "parallel", do you see that? Call them CA and CB. So C = CA + CB. Say CA has the dielectric, initially. You can compute CA1; also CB1 = CA2 = CB2.
You know V1, = same for CA and CB. You then can find Q = V1(CA1 + CB1).
For V2 you invoke the fact that Q does not change. This enables you to compute V2.
Finally, as I said, energy = 1/2 Δ{CV2}, or = 1/2 Q ΔV.
I can say no more.

Likes doktorwho
All a matter of writing down the relevant equations, including the conservation relationships ...
BvU said:
I'm missing the relevant equations in section 2 :smile: like ##Q_{\rm total}\ ##conserved, ##U_1 = U_2## and such...
(not to rub it in, but to make clear the ingredients of a solid problem solving approach ... )
doktorwho said:
It's not stated but I'm guessing that ##Q## must be conserved and ##C## and ##U## are changing.
No guessing. Physics. Where would Q go ?

Likes doktorwho and rude man
Dielectric polarization can make Q change at conductor surfaces. The net change in Q is 0 globally.

EricGetta said:
Dielectric polarization can make Q change at conductor surfaces. The net change in Q is 0 globally.
Don't think so. The dielectric does not assume net charge. All charge stays on the metal surfaces.

1. What is the difference between electrical energy and electrical charge?

Electrical energy refers to the potential energy stored in an object due to the presence of electrical charge. Electrical charge, on the other hand, is a physical property of matter that determines how it will interact with electric fields.

2. How is the electrical energy of a conducting cylinder calculated?

The electrical energy of a conducting cylinder can be calculated using the formula E = (1/2) * C * V^2, where E is the electrical energy, C is the capacitance of the cylinder, and V is the voltage applied to the cylinder.

3. What is the relationship between the electrical energy and the capacitance of a conducting cylinder?

The electrical energy stored in a conducting cylinder is directly proportional to its capacitance. This means that as the capacitance increases, the electrical energy stored in the cylinder also increases.

4. How does the radius of a conducting cylinder affect its electrical energy?

The radius of a conducting cylinder has a direct impact on its capacitance, which in turn affects its electrical energy. As the radius increases, the capacitance also increases, resulting in a higher electrical energy storage capacity.

5. Can the electrical energy of a conducting cylinder ever be completely discharged?

Yes, the electrical energy of a conducting cylinder can be completely discharged if all of the electrical charge is removed from the cylinder. This can be achieved by connecting the cylinder to a ground or another object with a lower electrical potential.