The end of a ski jump(projectile motion)

• Thread starter babysnatcher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the skier lands on the incline below him with a speed of 25.0 m/s. The landing incline falls off with a slope of 35.0 degrees.
babysnatcher
a ski jumper leaves the ski track moving in the horizontal direction with a speed of 25.0 m/s. The landing incline below him falls off with a slope of 35.0 degrees. where does he land on the incline?

I already know how to use formulas to plug and chug to get an answer. I need to know why the answer is the only answer. what is the physical reasoning behind it because geometrically, the vector can be as long as it wants to be without changing that angle. What is the reasoning behind what the maximum magnitude the vector can have? how am i suppose to know this? is maximum magnitude the magnitude that is only before exceeding the magnitude that will force the skier into certain death? is it the snow that determines the limit? the ramp? what is it? i don't see it at all! we only get one angle so the triangle can be as big as it wants to be!

Physics news on Phys.org
babysnatcher said:
the vector can be as long as it wants to be without changing that angle. What is the reasoning behind what the maximum magnitude the vector can have?

Which vector?

Borek said:
Which vector?

the Resultant vector. draw the picture. omg xD

actually, they are all freaking varibles xD. all 3 of them.

Last edited:
Still no idea what you are talking about. To be honest, from your description I am not convinced you know how to solve the problem. Geometrically for this particular set of data there is only one solution, period.

Borek said:
Still no idea what you are talking about. To be honest, from your description I am not convinced you know how to solve the problem. Geometrically for this particular set of data there is only one solution, period.

prove it.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but if a skier goes off a jump with a known velocity, then their path through space is determined. Isn't it clear that he can only land in one particular spot on the ramp?

Millacol88 said:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but if a skier goes off a jump with a known velocity, then their path through space is determined. Isn't it clear that he can only land in one particular spot on the ramp?

yeah, i guess so. but the resultant vector, and the components of the resultant vector are variables.

so how do i find the one and only answer when the distance can be anything?

like, i can say he lands 6.5 m away. i can also say he lands 7m away. which one is it? it varies with the height of the snow. how am i suppose to only get exactly one precise finite answer when the 3 sides of the triangle are variables?

i can take off as much snow as i want or add as much snow as i want, which will change the vertical and horizontal distance while keeping the angle the same at all times. you can't get a side with just geometry xD. can't complete a triangle with just one given angle.

Whoops.

Take a look here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=59996&stc=1&d=1372624054.png

There is only one point where the skier can land.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.png
    Untitled-3.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,194
aha, tangent. ok, I am convinced.

babysnatcher said:
aha, tangent. ok, I am convinced.

wait nvm, it can still be any ratio of x and y :(

Millacol88 said:
Whoops.

lol, i saw that xD. you solve it the same way the textbook does but i still don't get it. i need to know that given that angle, it can only be at that spot whether the heights change.

babysnatcher said:
it can only be at that spot whether the heights change.

Heights of what?

Please try to analyze the drawing I posted. Vector shows initial velocity if the skier. After the jump he follows the thin line and lands on the slope. Your task is to find where the trajectory intersects the slope.

What is the end of a ski jump?

The end of a ski jump refers to the point where the jumper lands after completing their jump. It is typically a flat or slightly inclined surface that allows the jumper to safely come to a stop.

How is projectile motion involved in a ski jump?

During a ski jump, the jumper is in a state of projectile motion, meaning their body is moving through the air in a curved path due to the force of gravity. This motion is affected by factors such as the angle of the jump, air resistance, and the force of the jumper's takeoff.

What factors affect the distance of the end of a ski jump?

The distance of the end of a ski jump is affected by several factors, including the angle of the jump, the speed and trajectory of the jumper, air resistance, and the condition of the landing surface. These factors can vary depending on the individual jumper and the specific jump.

Can a ski jumper control their landing at the end of a jump?

Yes, ski jumpers have some control over their landing at the end of a jump. By adjusting their body position and movements in the air, they can alter their trajectory and hopefully land safely on the landing surface. However, other factors such as wind and snow conditions can also affect the landing.

How do scientists study the end of a ski jump?

Scientists can study the end of a ski jump through various methods, such as analyzing video footage and data from sensors on the jumper's body. They can also conduct experiments in controlled environments to better understand the factors that affect the end of a ski jump. Additionally, mathematical models can be used to simulate and predict the motion of a ski jumper and their landing.