The End of the Ski Jump - Optimizing Launch Angle

In summary: This might be helpful.In summary, Haruspex struggles with part b) of the homework statement, which asks for the elimination of time "t" and differentiation and maximization of "d" in terms of angle "theta". He eventually finds a solution by eliminating time and differentiation and maximization of d in terms of angle theta.
Bdhillon1994

Homework Statement

A ski jumper leaves the ski track moving in the horizontal direction with a speed of 25.0 m/s as shown in Figure 4.14. The landing incline below her falls off with a slope of 35.0°. Where does she land on the incline? I've attached an image of the problem, my work is below it.
RN8sQ5y.png

yzjFy3T.png

Homework Equations

xf = (Vicos(theta))t = dcos(phi)
yf = (Visin(theta)t) - (0.5)gt^2 = -dsin(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand and reached the solution of part a), but I am struggling with part b). It says to eliminate time "t" and differentiate and maximize "d" in terms of angle "theta".

this is the furthest I've gotten:

xf = (Vicos(theta))t

t = xf/(Vicos(theta))

yf = (Visin(theta))t - (0.5)gt^2

plugging in t = xf/(Vicos(theta))

yf = (Visin(theta))(xf/(Vicos(theta)) - (0.5)g(xf/(Vicos(theta))^2
= xftan(theta) - (0.5)g(xf/(vicos(theta))^2
= xftan(theta) - xf^2(1/(2gVi^2cos^2(theta))

(factoring out and dividing by xf)

yf/xf = tan(theta) - xf/(2gVi^2cos^2(theta))

-dsin(phi)/(dcos(phi)) = tan(theta) - xf/(2gVi^2cos^2(theta))

-tan(phi) = tan(theta) - xf/(2gVi^2cos^2(theta))

I don't know what to do after this step. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bdhillon1994 said:
xf = (Vicos(theta))t
What does theta represent in that equation? Think carefully.

haruspex said:
What does theta represent in that equation? Think carefully.
Hi Haruspex, I believe it represents the launch angle

Bdhillon1994 said:
Hi Haruspex, I believe it represents the launch angle
Yes, but angle to what?

Edit: sorry, forget it... may have misread something. More soon...

haruspex said:
Yes, but angle to what?

The angle in respect to the x-axis? Is it because it's initially at zero? Because φ is 35 degrees ... ?

haruspex said:
Yes, but angle to what?

Oh okay, all good. Thanks for replying to my thread, though!

Bdhillon1994 said:
= xftan(theta) - (0.5)g(xf/(vicos(theta))^2
= xftan(theta) - xf^2(1/(2gVi^2cos^2(theta))
Check that step. The second line is dimensionally inconsistent.
(This is a useful technique for finding algebraic errors in physics. Check whether the final equation makes sense dimensionally. If it doesn't, do a 'binary chop' to see where it went wrong.)

Likes Bdhillon1994
haruspex said:
Check that step. The second line is dimensionally inconsistent.
(This is a useful technique for finding algebraic errors in physics. Check whether the final equation makes sense dimensionally. If it doesn't, do a 'binary chop' to see where it went wrong.)
Okay thanks, I'll review my work once I'm home. Also, what do you mean by "binary chop"?

Bdhillon1994 said:
Okay thanks, I'll review my work once I'm home. Also, what do you mean by "binary chop"?
Say you did eight operations on an equation in sequence. The first equation passes some check (such as dimensional consistency) but the ninth doesn't. so check the one in the middle. If that's ok, check the one half way from there to the end, etc.
You might find this useful: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-equation-handling

Likes Bdhillon1994

1. What is the purpose of studying the end of the ski jump and optimizing launch angle?

The purpose of studying the end of the ski jump and optimizing launch angle is to improve performance and safety for ski jumpers. By understanding the physics behind the sport and finding the optimal launch angle, ski jumpers can achieve greater distances and reduce the risk of injury.

2. How is the launch angle determined in ski jumping?

The launch angle in ski jumping is determined by a combination of the angle of the hill and the speed of the jumper. The goal is to find the angle at which the jumper can achieve the greatest distance while also maintaining stability and control during the flight.

3. What factors affect the optimal launch angle in ski jumping?

The optimal launch angle in ski jumping is affected by several factors, including the angle and steepness of the hill, the wind conditions, the speed and technique of the jumper, and the equipment used. These factors must be carefully considered and adjusted in order to achieve the best launch angle for each individual jumper.

4. How does the end of the ski jump impact the launch angle?

The end of the ski jump, also known as the takeoff or takeoff table, is a crucial part of the ski jumping technique. The shape and slope of the takeoff table can greatly affect the launch angle of the jumper. By optimizing the design and construction of the takeoff table, ski jumpers can achieve better launch angles and improve their overall performance.

5. Can technology be used to optimize the launch angle in ski jumping?

Yes, technology can be used to optimize the launch angle in ski jumping. High-speed cameras and motion analysis software can be used to analyze the jumpers' movements and determine the best launch angle for each individual. Additionally, computer simulations can be used to model and test different launch angles and their effects on performance. This technology can greatly aid in the optimization process and help ski jumpers achieve their best possible results.