The Evo Child trapped in PA snowstorm

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evo
In summary, Evo's daughter encountered a series of travel mishaps while trying to return home from Italy due to a snowstorm in Philadelphia. However, she was able to find a safe place to stay and a decent cab driver to take her to a nearby location. Despite the stressful situation, she had a great time in Florence and Rome. Evo's friends and members of PF showed their concern and offered humorous comments.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I just got off the phone with my daughter. She left Rome, Italy this morning and was due to arrive in Philadelphia at 2:32pm, change planes and leave Philadelphia at 4:45pm.

They got about a foot of snow in Philly and their flight out was canceled. They are "tentatively" scheduled on a flight tomorrow night at 8pm, but due to the weather forecast it may also be canceled.

The step father of one of the other girls she's traveling with has a friend that lives near Philly and they agreed to let the girls come stay with them. The concierge at the airport Marriott Hotel managed to find a decent cab driver that was willing to make the 30 mile drive and not overcharge them. It was a 2 hour, 30 mile drive and it cost $150. :bugeye:

Good news is that they are safe, but I've been worried. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I just got off the phone with my daughter. She left Rome, Italy this morning and was due to arrive in Philadelphia at 2:32pm, change planes and leave Philadelphia at 4:45pm.

They got about a foot of snow in Philly and their flight out was canceled. They are "tentatively" scheduled on a flight tomorrow night at 8pm, but due to the weather forecast it may also be canceled.

The step father of one of the other girls she's traveling with has a friend that lives near Philly and they agreed to let the girls come stay with them. The concierge at the airport Marriott Hotel managed to find a decent cab driver that was willing to make the 30 mile drive and not overcharge them. It was a 2 hour, 30 mile drive and it cost $150. :bugeye:

I take it the trains aren't running either? You can get anywhere from the Philly airport by train much cheaper than that! :bugeye:

Hey, at least she didn't take the cab to Atlantic City, it might have cost a lot more than $150! Though that sure would be a more fun location to be stranded. :biggrin: Cabs are pretty well regulated though, and any with a permit to run to the airport should charge the same rate. Though, honestly, with the storm they're getting out there, the cab driver deserves the money to drive that distance in those road conditions.

As long as she's safe, that's what matters most.

I only got to talk to her briefly, so I don't know what the story was, but apparently the first cab driver was trying to rip them off due to the storm and the concierge noticed and got them another cab.

The person they're staying with is hosting a sleepover for his daughter and half a dozen other girls tonight and was unable to go get them, which is why the cab ride.

This is a good reason to have another international hub in a warmer climate. I think the closest is Atlanta and it's a nightmare.

I'm glad she's OK, Evo. Hope she'll be home soon. Rome, huh? That sounds like fun!

Math Is Hard said:
I'm glad she's OK, Evo. Hope she'll be home soon. Rome, huh? That sounds like fun!
I hope she gets home soon too, but I don't want her traveling in more bad weather.

She stayed in Florence 4 days and Rome 4 days, she had a great time. Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures. Wish I could have gone.

Imagine, coming from beautifull, warm Tuscany back to this freezing waste land :bugeye: horror !
She must be depressed big time.

I'm sure if she was stranded in the Philly area with no place to go, we could have called upon Russ Watters to come to her rescue, though he might have tried to convert her to being a Republican. :bugeye: :biggrin:

I'm sure for this cute,half of PF members would show up to pick her up. :smile:

Evo said:

I'm glad she's okay. This is a dangerous storm to be sure.

spender said:
I'm sure for this cute,half of PF members would show up to pick her up. :smile:
That's what worries me, although I'd trust Russ.

Moonbear said:
I'm sure if she was stranded in the Philly area with no place to go, we could have called upon Russ Watters to come to her rescue, though he might have tried to convert her to being a Republican.
I guess if he drove 2 hours in the snow to get her, she'd be required to become Republican. :biggrin:

Glad she's safe :smile: and didn't have to become a Republican. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
This is a dangerous storm to be sure.
The governor of PA had declared a state of emergency and banned all non essential traffic. They should have not risked the drive, I was worried sick.

Thank you all for sharing my concern. It's so nice to have such good friends. :approve:

Tsu said:
Glad she's safe :smile: and didn't have to become a Republican. :smile:

There are worse things than becoming Republican...like letting one of the younger guys who have trouble rolling their tongues back into their mouths every time they see her picture pick her up! :biggrin:

Evo said:
The governor of PA had declared a state of emergency and banned all non essential traffic. They should have not risked the drive, I was worried sick.

You're right about that! That's probably why the first cabbie was trying to overcharge knowing the road conditions. At least she's somewhere safe now.

Well, Gokul and I can both sympathize about being stuck in airports due to snow! Hopefully her game of flight roulette won't be as exciting as mine was.

Why you daughter did not stay in airport hotel ? sometimes you just have to spend money on hotels. I would not go outside in this weather, what if cab broke down ? I saw many cars today in the ditches etc.

Evo,

I am happy for you that your daughter is safe. Tell all you snow bunnies this - move to TEXAS! Then again, it hits hot here in the summers, and you roast your tush off. I am originally from the boarding area of Canada and Michigan, and when I left in 1979, (I was moving to Texas) I still remember the wind chill factor was 30 zero. But, I still miss the SNOW! ~Werdas~

I have to go out in this storm. Got to go west.

It seems to be clearing up here near NYC.

I imagine if the airport is closed, all the nearby hotels are full.

I hope Evo child is safe and sound, and gets home soon, safe and sound.

Got to go shovel a foot of snow - or I'm not going anywhere.

spender said:
Why you daughter did not stay in airport hotel ? sometimes you just have to spend money on hotels. I would not go outside in this weather, what if cab broke down ? I saw many cars today in the ditches etc.
That's what I asked her father who told her to take a cab to this person's house. He didn't think about getting her a hotel room even though he knew her flight out of Philladelphia was canceled even before she left Rome. (he "forgot" to tell me this, I would have booked a room for them). Now they have to worry about trying to drive back to the airport and with the high winds, they expect the blowing snow to create near blizard like conditions there. The Marriott is at the airport and a room may have been available that far in advance.

Moonbear said:
There are worse things than becoming Republican...
Not MANY!111 :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: (Jus' kidding, Moonbear. Put the gun down. :smile:)

I hope everything goes well for your child EVO, keep us updated as events transpire.

BTW, Orlando is an International hub with all of the fixins. Just think, she could be sitting by the pool getting a tan right now at one of the gazillion hotels in the area. Presently it's a balmy 51F/11C, not quite tanning temps for the locals but you yanks have a little more tolerance on that end of the thermostat!

Tsu said:
Not MANY!111 :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: (Jus' kidding, Moonbear. Put the gun down. :smile:)

LOL! I didn't say many. :smile: But East Coast Republicans are a different breed than those out in the midwest. She wouldn't be scarred for life.

Evo, I imagine the hotels near the airport are completely full by now. She would have done better to stake her claim last night if there was a room to be had, because once they are filled with stranded travelers, none are going to become available. Though, they likely will be working to get the train tracks cleared quickly today to handle tomorrow morning's commuter traffic. She might be able to find a hotel a little further that's close to a train station if she's there another night. It would be safer than continuing to drive 30 mi back and forth on bad roads with crazy cab drivers.

Evo, did your daughter make it home?

I hope so.

Evo said:
That's what worries me, although I'd trust Russ.

I guess if he drove 2 hours in the snow to get her, she'd be required to become Republican. :biggrin:
You trust me? You do know I was in the Navy, right? :biggrin:

Hey, I lucked out this weekend - I flew to Ohio with my parents to see some relatives. They live just north of Cincinatti and we got virtually nothing - and better yet, my parents booked the flights and choose to fly out of Allentown instead of Philly (we live about halfway in between). The two flights to Philly from Cinci were canceled last night and our flight arrived in Allentown on time.

russ_watters said:

Hey, I lucked out this weekend - I flew to Ohio with my parents to see some relatives. They live just north of Cincinatti and we got virtually nothing - and better yet, my parents booked the flights and choose to fly out of Allentown instead of Philly (we live about halfway in between). The two flights to Philly from Cinci were canceled last night and our flight arrived in Allentown on time.

Hey, you were in the Cinci area and didn't visit?!

Glad your flights weren't affected. Still waiting to hear if the Evo child made it home safely yet.

russ_watters said:

Your parents made a good decision.

The Child of Evo finally got home after midnight last night, her flight was delayed (no surprise), but at least she made it home. Poor thing was exhausted she had spent almost 48 hours on planes and in airports, cabs, etc...

Glad she made it home! I'm sure she's really appreciating her bed right now!

Evo, sweet!

Amen she made it home safe! I have seen the pictures of the storms hitting the northern most areas. Too me, it looks like the worst snow storm in history!

Give your Daughter a big smoochie and hug from me. This mother really understands when one of her flock isn't in the fold.

~Love, Werdas'

Moonbear said:
Hey, you were in the Cinci area and didn't visit?!
I would have, but I couldn't find "PF Sista Hood" on my map! :-p

russ_watters said:
I would have, but I couldn't find "PF Sista Hood" on my map! :-p

:smile: Seriously, next time you're going to be in the area, let me know...we have Home Depot's here too if those are the official PF meeting sites. :biggrin: And, maybe next time Gokul won't have a dead car battery and can visit too.

what's with the nuns?

my husband is from the philly area, guess it wasn't as bad as they were expecting...thank goodness though the eagles won the championship (for my sanity anyway, he's a bear when his eagles don't win).

Kerrie said:
what's with the nuns?
You haven't been keeping up with the latest in the "find a man for Evo" thread. I've decided to give up on love and become a nun. :frown:

Kerrie said:
what's with the nuns?
Where have you BEEN, Kerrie?? (Too busy with that new husband of yours? :devil: :biggrin: Yeah, yeah. I heard about the "computer problems"... Likely story... :rolleyes:) :smile: :smile: :smile:

Ivan started it on page 25 of the 'Man for Evo' thread.

The Sisters of PF
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/image.php/6fe5d350/nuns_with_guns.jpg

BTW. Where's YOUR habit? Even though you're not here that much (I know philosophy can be pretty time consuming :biggrin:), you are still a 'Sister of PF'. :biggrin: That's you - on the right - next to me. :biggrin:

I have dirty habits right now :devil: :biggrin: but as soon as I've cleaned them up a bit I'll be updating my avatar, too. :wink: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Look at our posting times. This is weird.

I noticed that too. :biggrin: