The fate of the cosmos equation

• Thread starter victorvmotti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmos
In summary: The equation does seem to capture most of the relevant values, but it is not a mathematical solution to the problem of the fate of the cosmos.In summary, Carroll finds that experimental data strongly favours an open ended cosmic future, but the equation describing the fate of the cosmos is not a mathematical solution.
victorvmotti
Will the cosmos expand forever or the expansion will stop and then the whole universe collapses to that point of spacetime from which the big bang started?

Carroll (2004) shows that this will become clear in a formula that shows the fate of the cosmos:

Ω0a^3+(1- ΩM0- Ω)a+ ΩM0=0

This simple cubic equation in terms of a, the scale factor, gives us predictive power. If there is no real solution to it then we have to expect “perpetual” expansion. And the current experimental data indeed favor such an open ended cosmic future.

What do you think about this conclusion?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I am not sure what it is that you are asking.

Yes, observational evidence, when combined standard Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker models, strongly favours a universe that expands forever.

The same observation evidence and models, however, make no strong prediction about whether the universe is open or closed, i.e.., the universe seems to be very near the borderline.

victorvmotti said:
Will the cosmos expand forever or the expansion will stop and then the whole universe collapses to that point of spacetime from which the big bang started?

It can't possibly collapse to the same point in spacetime where it started because the arrow of time only goes one way.

The "big crunch" scenario was in favor before accelerated expansion was discovered a couple of decades ago but is now widely regarded as not what's going to happen.

EDIT: I should add that the term "point in spacetime" should, I think, be taken to mean not just a particular point in time but also a particular point in space and since the big bang did not happen at a point in space, that's another reason why saying that it could go back to the "same" point in spacetime is impossible.

victorvmotti said:
This simple cubic equation in terms of a, the scale factor, gives us predictive power. If there is no real solution to it then we have to expect “perpetual” expansion. And the current experimental data indeed favor such an open ended cosmic future.
What do you think about this conclusion?
I think that every cubic equation has a real solution.

Bill_K said:
I think that every cubic equation has a real solution.

Carroll should have specified explicitly that turn-around values of the scale factor ##a## need to be real and positive, i.e., only positive solutions of the cubic are physically valid. He produces the real, positive solutions.

Last edited:
Great feedback.

Yes, he begins by seeing when the Hubble parameter passes through zero, changes sign, from positive to negative, and then arrives at this cubic equation in terms of the scale factor.

I was wondering if this cubic equation captures all information and related values, here only density parameters of matter and vacuum, to predict the fate of the cosmos, either a crunch or a perpetual expansion.

What is "The fate of the cosmos equation"?

The fate of the cosmos equation is a theoretical mathematical formula that attempts to predict the ultimate destiny of the universe.

Who came up with "The fate of the cosmos equation"?

The concept of the fate of the cosmos equation has been explored by many scientists and physicists, including Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.

What factors does "The fate of the cosmos equation" take into account?

The fate of the cosmos equation considers various factors such as the rate of expansion of the universe, the amount of matter and energy in the universe, and the curvature of space-time.

What are the possible outcomes predicted by "The fate of the cosmos equation"?

According to the fate of the cosmos equation, there are three possible outcomes for the universe: a Big Freeze, a Big Crunch, or a Big Rip. These outcomes depend on the values of the factors used in the equation.

Is "The fate of the cosmos equation" proven to be accurate?

While "The fate of the cosmos equation" is based on scientific theories and observations, it is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be accurate. Further research and advancements in technology are needed to fully understand the fate of the universe.