The first realistic virtual universe created

In summary, astronomers have created the first realistic virtual universe using a computer simulation called "Illustris." The simulation is able to recreate 13 billion years of cosmic evolution with unprecedented resolution in a cube 350 million light-years on a side. This achievement, reported in the journal Nature, is the result of collaboration between researchers at various institutions. The simulation successfully reproduces a realistic distribution of elliptical, spiral, and barred spiral galaxies, providing further evidence for the correctness of the standard cosmological model. The website for the simulation also offers plans to make snapshots of the simulation publicly available for further study. This achievement raises questions about the increasing role of computer modeling in scientific research.
Astronomers Create First Realistic Virtual Universe

Cambridge, MA -
Move over, Matrix - astronomers have done you one better. They have created the first realistic virtual universe using a computer simulation called "Illustris." Illustris can recreate 13 billion years of cosmic evolution in a cube 350 million light-years on a side with unprecedented resolution.

"Until now, no single simulation was able to reproduce the universe on both large and small scales simultaneously," says lead author Mark Vogelsberger (MIT/Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics), who conducted the work in collaboration with researchers at several institutions, including the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies in Germany.

These results are being reported in the May 8th issue of the journal Nature.

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2014-10

http://www.illustris-project.org/

illustris_box_dmdens_gasvel_sm.jpg

Space news on Phys.org
Awesome development, can't wait to see the papers on it. As well as the other vids lol

Awesome. Although I flinched at the title of the video: "to compute the laws of Nature". I didn't see where they started with (mathematical) Set Theory and arrived at quantum gauge invariance...did I miss it? LOL. Quite an achievement, really (but maybe we're not quite ready to compute the Laws of Nature...unless I missed the revelation about the origin of the "fine tuning" of ~100 or so parameters?)

Very nice!

An impressive accomplishment. The paper is available on the arXiv if Nature is behind a paywall for you. The fact that they successfully reproduced a realistic distribution of elliptical, spiral, and barred spiral galaxies is yet more proof (if any were needed) of the correctness of the Lambda-CDM standard cosmological model. One question I have after reading the paper is whether anyone knows how they modeled SMBH formation. Do the SMBH's grow naturally or do they need to be put in "by hand"? Any inputs?

(Edit - from reading the web site, it looks like there is a paper in preparation on this topic.)

I'm also curious as to what distinguishes a star-forming spiral from a "red and dead" elliptical. The initial angular momentum? Gas content? These are questions that should be answerable by studying the simulation. Note that they plan to make snapshots of the simulation publicly available for study by third parties.

Last edited:
The illustris video is quite interesting. The website just came up a few days ago and has some additional links. The computational power required to generate these images is almost beyond comprehension. Are we entering an age where science will be vetted by computer modeling, or has it already slipped upon us? In any event, this is a milestone achievement.

I'd say its slipping upon us, or will shortly do so. The advances in computing power I've been keeping track of is on the threshold of significant advances.

1. What exactly is a "realistic virtual universe"?

A realistic virtual universe refers to a simulated digital environment that is designed to replicate the real world as closely as possible, incorporating realistic physics, graphics, and interactions.

2. How was the first realistic virtual universe created?

The first realistic virtual universe was created using advanced computer software and algorithms that allow for the simulation of complex environments and interactions. This involved extensive research and development in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and artificial intelligence.

3. What are the potential applications of a realistic virtual universe?

A realistic virtual universe has various potential applications in fields such as gaming, education, training simulations, and scientific research. It can also be used for entertainment, virtual tourism, and social interactions.

4. Can a realistic virtual universe be used for scientific research?

Yes, a realistic virtual universe can be used for scientific research as it allows for the simulation of various scenarios and environments that may not be possible or ethical to replicate in the real world. This can aid in understanding complex systems and phenomena, and can also serve as a testing ground for hypotheses and theories.

5. What are the challenges in creating a realistic virtual universe?

Creating a realistic virtual universe involves overcoming various technical challenges such as processing power, data storage, and realistic rendering of graphics and physics. It also requires a deep understanding of the real world and its complexities, as well as the ability to accurately simulate them in a virtual environment.