The force between charged and neutral object

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving a Van de Graaff generator and a neutral sphere placed on a scale to measure the force between them. The tutor mentioned that the force is proportional to 1/r^5, but did not provide an explanation. The student mentions the use of Coulomb's law and attempts to calculate the force using the equation F = k/r^n. It is suggested that with only two measurements, finding an accurate determination for k and n may be difficult. Another approach suggested is to consider two small conductors forming a dipole, which could potentially produce an r^-5 relationship.
Aldo Biko

Homework Statement

I did a lab involving Van de Graaff generator. Basically, below the charged sphere, I put a neutral sphere on a scale and measure the difference in mass which then I can calculate the force acting on the neutral sphere. I repeated the experiment with different distance. What is the proportionality between the force and the distance? One of the tutor said the force is proportional to 1/r^5 but he didn't explain much about it.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that from coulomb law that the force is proportional to 1/r^2. However I can only use this equation to calculate the force between two charged objects, while my experiment is about the force between a charged and a neutral object.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose F = k/rn. You can certainly write F1=k/r1n and F2=k/r2n. Can you put these two equations together with the forces and distances that you measured and find k and n? An accurate determination might be difficult with just two measurements, but if that's all you got, it will have to do.

Last edited:
Don't know if this works, but you could try considering instead two small conductors, lined up with the charged sphere, connected by a short thin wire. These would form a dipole from the induced charges. You might obtain an r-5 relationship in that model.

Edit: it does indeed produce that relationship.

Last edited:

1. What is the force between charged and neutral objects?

The force between charged and neutral objects is known as electrostatic force. It is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between two charged objects due to their electric charges. This force is caused by the interaction of electric fields between the objects.

2. How is the force between charged and neutral objects calculated?

The force between charged and neutral objects can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of electrostatic force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can the force between charged and neutral objects be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

Yes, the force between charged and neutral objects can be both attractive and repulsive at the same time. This is because the direction of the force depends on the relative charges of the objects. Objects with opposite charges will experience an attractive force, while objects with the same charge will experience a repulsive force.

4. How does the distance between charged and neutral objects affect the force between them?

The force between charged and neutral objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force decreases. This is known as the inverse-square law.

5. Can the force between charged and neutral objects act through a vacuum?

Yes, the force between charged and neutral objects can act through a vacuum or empty space. This is because electric fields can exist and interact with each other even in the absence of matter. This is known as action at a distance.