What Determines the Force Between Links in a Chain Under Acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of forces acting between each link in a chain consisting of five links with a mass of 0.103 kg each, being lifted vertically with a constant acceleration of 2.49 m/s^2. The necessary force to lift each link can be found by adding the force needed to lift the previous link, as each link has to support the weight of all the links below it.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

In the figure below, a chain consisting of five links, each of mass 0.103 kg, is lifted vertically with a constant acceleration of magnitude a = 2.49 m/s2.
(a) Find the magnitude of the force acting between link 1 and link 2.
(b) Find the magnitude of the force acting between link 2 and link 3.
(c) Find the magnitude of the force acting between link 3 and link 4.
(d) Find the magnitude of the force acting between link 4 and link 5.
(e) Find the magnitude of the force
Farrowitalic.gif
exerted on the top link by the person lifting the chain.
(f) Find the magnitude of the net force accelerating each link.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't quite know what I was supposed to do, so googled the problem (I'm not really trying to cheat though). I found this https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110322030804AAe7RWU. While I can see how to get each of those answers, I don't understand why you just keep on adding the values. Also, there are many forces acting on each link, so what does the question mean by the force "acting between" certain links? Understanding how to solve probs is more important than just solving them for me, so please help me understand why.

Attachments

• 5-p-043.gif
    5-p-043.gif
    3 KB · Views: 312
  • Farrowitalic.gif
    Farrowitalic.gif
    80 bytes · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by assuming your chain consists only of one link (link #1). Could you explain how to calculate the necessary force to lift it upwards with a constant acceleration of 2.49m/s^2?

JessicaHelena said:
... While I can see how to get each of those answers, I don't understand why you just keep on adding the values.
Think of this: you are hanging on a rope, hands don't hurt much. Now someone grabs your ankles and they are being supported by you. Do you hands feel the same?

Likes stockzahn
@stockzahn — That would be 2.49 * 0.103 + 0.103 * 9.8 (part a)...

@phinds — oh so each time you have one more link, you need the force needed to lift it up at the same acceleration (what stockzahn wanted me to find), and so add it...?

JessicaHelena said:
oh so each time you have one more link, you need the force needed to lift it up at the same acceleration (what stockzahn wanted me to find), and so add it...?
Right. Each link has to support ALL of the links below it

1. What is the force between two links?

The force between two links refers to the physical interaction or attraction between two objects or particles that are connected by a link or bond. This force can be attractive or repulsive, and it is dependent on factors such as the distance between the links, their masses, and the type of bond between them.

2. How is the force between links calculated?

The force between links can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation or Coulomb's Law, depending on the type of interaction between the links. These laws take into account the masses of the objects, the distance between them, and the strength of the bond or interaction between them.

3. Does the force between links change if the distance between them changes?

Yes, the force between links is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance between the links increases, the force decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse-square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the links.

4. Can the force between links be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

No, the force between links can only be either attractive or repulsive. This is determined by the type of interaction between the links. For example, gravitational forces are always attractive, while electrostatic forces can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the objects involved.

5. How does the mass of the links affect the force between them?

The mass of the links plays a crucial role in determining the force between them. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses. Therefore, as the mass of the links increases, the force between them also increases. This is why larger objects tend to have a stronger gravitational force between them compared to smaller objects.