The greatest angle at which a ladder won't slip

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum angle θ that a uniform ladder can make with a wall without sliding, given the ladder's mass, length, and coefficients of static friction. The conversation includes equations such as Newton's Second Law and the maximum magnitude of static friction, and also mentions drawing a free-body diagram to solve the problem. After attempting a solution, the speaker realizes their mistake and corrects it.
Addem
[EDIT: Never mind about this problem, I found my mistake.]

1. Homework Statement

A uniform ladder of mass m and length L rests against a wall. The coefficients of static friction between the floor and the ladder and between the wall and the ladder are equal to each other (μ). What is the maximum value of angle θ that the ladder can make with the wall without sliding? Solve in terms of m, g, L, μ, and θ.

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law.

The maximum magnitude of static friction = μN, where N is the normal force.

The magnitude of torque is rF.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free-body diagram, treating the floor as a pivot point. I labeled the center of the mass of the ladder occurring at L/2 along the ladder, exerting a downward force of mg. At the point where the ladder touches the wall I draw a normal force Nw directed away from the wall and a static force μNw directed up from the contact point. At the point of contact with the floor I draw a normal force Nf and a frictional force μNf.

From here I know that, since the ladder isn't falling, the vertical forces balance, that is to say

mg = Nf+μNw
Since the ladder isn't translating right or left then

Nw = μNf
Since the ladder isn't experiencing any spin then

(mg cosθ)L/2 = L( μNwcosθ + Nwcos(θ+π/2) )
I'm solving for θ theta. I start by canceling L on both sides. I can also make the trig identity cos(θ+π/2) = sin( π/2 - [θ+π/2] ) = -sinθ. Also, I want to eliminate Nw so from the earlier equations I infer

mg = Nw/μ+ μNw
= Nw(1/μ + μ)
∴ Nw = mg/(1/μ + μ)
And so I can write

(mg cosθ)/2 = (mg)( μcosθ - sinθ )/(1/μ + μ)
∴ (1/μ + μ)/2 = μ - tanθ

∴ tanθ = 2μ/2 - (1/μ + μ)
= (μ-1/μ)/2
= (μ2 - 1)/(2μ)
There are two problems with this, though. One is that usually μ<1 so that this would be a negative value of θ. The other is that I pulled this problem off of the EdX Physics Review and their answer was

θ = arctan( 2μ / (1-μ2) )
That's really close to mine but the argument of the arctan is the negative reciprocal of my answer. I just can't see where I went wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, never mind, I found my mistake--I was decomposing the components of force in the wrong way at the contact point with the wall.

1. What is "The greatest angle at which a ladder won't slip"?

"The greatest angle at which a ladder won't slip" refers to the steepest angle at which a ladder can be placed against a surface without slipping or toppling over.

2. Why is knowing the greatest angle important when using a ladder?

Knowing the greatest angle at which a ladder won't slip is important for ensuring the safety of the person using the ladder. Placing the ladder at a steeper angle than the greatest angle increases the risk of the ladder slipping and causing injury.

3. How is the greatest angle determined?

The greatest angle at which a ladder won't slip can be determined using the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the surface it is placed against, as well as the weight and distribution of weight on the ladder.

4. Can the greatest angle change for different types of ladders?

Yes, the greatest angle can vary depending on the type and material of the ladder. Factors such as the length, weight, and surface area of the ladder can also affect the greatest angle.

5. Is there a general rule for determining the greatest angle?

There is no one specific rule for determining the greatest angle at which a ladder won't slip, as it can vary based on different factors. However, it is generally recommended to keep the ladder at a 75-degree angle from the ground.