The Hacker Max Butler charges (several questions)

In summary, Butler attended Boise State University for a year. In 1991, Butler was convicted of assault during his freshman year of college. His appeal was unsuccessful or procedural grounds, as a judge ruled that Butler's defense attorney did not raise the issue in an earlier appeal. The Idaho State Penitentiary paroled Butler on 26 April 1995.
askingquestion
Butler attended Boise State University for a year. In 1991, Butler was convicted of assault during his freshman year of college. His appeal was unsuccessful or procedural grounds, as a judge ruled that Butler's defense attorney did not raise the issue in an earlier appeal. The Idaho State Penitentiary paroled Butler on 26 April 1995.

What is the meaning of procedural ground?
(I am not English Native, so I need explanation).
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, you need to make your objections or issues with a decision in a trial court in that court. A court of appeals (those above trial courts) generally will not consider arguments on issues where you failed to make your objections in the trial court. See "Preservation Issues" here. If someone were to appeal a trial court decision on the basis of a single issue and they failed to make their objection in the trial court on that issue, then the court of appeals might dismiss the appeal for that reason. What makes it procedural is that the court of appeals did not make a decision "on the merits," i.e., didn't decide whether you are right or wrong on the issue, it simply decided you have not properly brought the issue before the court of appeals.

EDIT: I see the wiki says Butler's appeal failed because of failure to raise it an earlier appeal, not trial. Nevertheless, the explanation I gave above still explains "procedural" versus "on the merits."

• Informative
Likes BillTre and berkeman
Also a lot of appeals are based on something the defense attorney failed to do like question the medical examiner about to cause of death in a murder case or some other evidence that implicated the defendent.

In one Texas case, it was determined on appeal that the prosecutor had a hidden relationship with the judge that was not disclosed until sometime later in a divorce proceeding. Defendents in those trials appealed their verdicts on that grounds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/us/10texas.html

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...h-the-prosecutor-in-a-death-penalty-case.html

https://www.texastribune.org/2010/04/19/supreme-court-declines-to-hear-hood-case/

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story...eads-guilty-da-judge-affair-case/15107356007/

But from reading the articles you can see how convoluted things can become with one testimony being called hearsay until finally the sentence via a plea deal was changed from death row to life in prison.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
In Max Butler Wikipedia article (that is under FBI investigation, guilty plea, and sentencing title)
Butler also targeted Citibank by using a Trojan horse towards a credit card identity thief and began distributing PINs to Aragon, who would have others withdraw the maximum daily amount of cash from ATMs until the compromised account was empty.[19]
What is the meaning of to begin distributing PINs?
What is distributing PINs?

It was not the ATMs that were emptied. It was the accounts accessed through the ATMs that were emptied. Usually people have a daily maximum that can withdrawn from their account through an ATM. For an example, if the most cash I can remove from my account through an ATM is $500 per day and I have $2000 in my account, then it would take 4 days, using my PIN at the ATM, to empty my account.

Likes askingquestion
Actually list of all PINs from 0000 to 9999 shows now and there on the Internet.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes pbuk and DrClaude
Borek said:
Actually list of all PINs from 0000 to 9999 shows now and there on the Internet.
Link, please...
:wink:

• Haha
Likes DrClaude

What are the charges against hacker Max Butler?

The charges against Max Butler include identity theft, wire fraud, and illegally accessing computer systems.

What is the penalty for these charges?

The maximum penalty for these charges is up to 60 years in prison and a fine of up to $1.75 million.

What is the evidence against Max Butler?

The evidence against Max Butler includes stolen credit card numbers, personal information of individuals, and evidence of unauthorized access to computer systems.

Has Max Butler been convicted of these charges?

Yes, Max Butler has been convicted and sentenced to 13 years in prison for his involvement in a large-scale identity theft scheme.

What impact did Max Butler's actions have on the victims?

Max Butler's actions resulted in millions of dollars in losses for the victims and caused significant damage to their personal and financial security.