The History of Ticker Timers in Physics Experiments

In summary, a ticker timer is a device used to measure the speed or acceleration of an object. It was introduced in the UK in the early 1960s and was common in physics classrooms before photogates and computers.
Parsa
Hi, I'm new to the forum...
I just modified some ticker timers to serve as standing wave generators for my class. It got me wondering when ticker timers were first used to do physics motion experiments. I'm assuming it was from the time they had telegraphy, so maybe as early as the later 19th century. I couldn't seem to find any historical information online. Does anyone know who first did a lab with a ticker timer?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's a ticker timer?

Drakkith said:
What's a ticker timer?
An electromagnet vibrates a metal strip, usually at the mains frequency (50 or 60 Hz). The metal hits a carbon paper circle with ticker tape under it. It makes a mark every 1/50 th or 1/60 th of a second. They're used to find the speed or acceleration of an object pulling the tape through the timer. They were standard in physics classrooms before photogates and computers.
ticker_timer.jpg

Likes davenn
I Recall using them in 1961, as part of the "PSSC" (Physical Science Study Committee) program which was started in 1956.

HallsofIvy said:
I Recall using them in 1961, as part of the "PSSC" (Physical Science Study Committee) program which was started in 1956.
I remember that in about 1961 we demonstrated acceleration using Fletcher's Trolley, which traces out a sine wave on a paper strip. I suspect that the Ticker Timer originated around the dates you mention.

Parsa said:
An electromagnet vibrates a metal strip, usually at the mains frequency (50 or 60 Hz). The metal hits a carbon paper circle with ticker tape under it. It makes a mark every 1/50 th or 1/60 th of a second. They're used to find the speed or acceleration of an object pulling the tape through the timer. They were standard in physics classrooms before photogates and computers.
View attachment 81104
gosh, haven't seen one of those in 40+ yrsDave

davenn said:
gosh, haven't seen one of those in 40+ yrs
Dave
I teach in a public school. I'm still using 40 year old equipment. I haven't had curriculum-cycle funds in the 23 years at my school. Generally we get about $800 to spend in a year. Often that works out to about $4 a year per student. One single lab apparatus often costs several hundred, so class sets are out of the question. I'm happy to have some of the well made old equipment from back when states funded science classes. Here's the apparatus I set up for my lab next week to investigate the relationship between tension, wave speed, wavelength and frequency in standing waves.
string_vibrator_setup-01.png

Likes davenn
Up to the early 1960s in the UK, trolley investigations in schools usually involved a long steel strip, clamped at one end, which oscillated back and forth. An inked brush attached to the free end made a wavy line on a piece of paper stuck to the moving trolley. Assuming each cycle took the same time, one could figure out the trolley's velocity and acceleration. Ticker timers were introduced in the UK in the early 1960s, probably originally in the Nuffield programme for re-invigorating science teaching. The idea may very well have come from the US (see Tech99's post). The dots they produced at equal time intervals (0.01s in the UK) caused much less confusion to the young mind than the wavy trace.

Likes Parsa

1. How were ticker timers used in physics experiments?

Ticker timers were used in physics experiments as a way to measure the motion of an object. They consisted of a clockwork mechanism that would make a mark on a strip of paper at regular intervals. This strip of paper would have a uniform spacing of dots, which could be used to measure the distance traveled by the object over time.

2. When were ticker timers first used in physics experiments?

The first ticker timer was invented by Edward A. Cowper in 1846. However, it was not until the late 19th century that ticker timers became widely used in physics experiments, particularly in the study of motion and acceleration.

3. What are the limitations of using ticker timers in physics experiments?

One major limitation of ticker timers is their accuracy. The clockwork mechanism can be affected by external factors such as temperature and friction, which can cause inaccuracies in the measurements. Additionally, the paper strip can stretch or tear, leading to errors in the recorded data.

4. How have ticker timers evolved over time?

As technology advanced, ticker timers have been replaced by more precise and efficient methods of measuring motion, such as video analysis and motion sensors. However, ticker timers are still used in some experiments for their simplicity and low cost.

5. What are some famous experiments that have used ticker timers?

One of the most famous experiments that used a ticker timer is the Cavendish Experiment, which measured the gravitational constant in 1797. Ticker timers were also used in the Michelson-Morley Experiment in 1887, which was crucial in developing the theory of special relativity.